View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I don't think its as simple as blaming the modern media - I feel they are more of a symptoms than a cause. They are in the business of selling a product so they show/write what is popular and what sells.

I think its just part of the human condition that people are interested in murders, monsters and criminals (be that right or wrong). This isn't something new. History remember the infamous - Marquis De Sade*, Jack the Ripper, Idi Amin, Gilles De Rais, HH Holmes - are known by most people but how many people can name their victims.

Before 'Thug Culture' and Gangster Rap we had had old Ballads glamorizing the deeds of Pirates and Highway Men. During the Roaring Twenties and Troubled Thirties, the media treated Gangsters like John Dillinger and Charles Floyd like rock stars and gave them colourful names like "Pretty Boy" and "Baby Face".

Oh it's not that simple but it is a piece of it. We're so good at dehumanizing our foreign enemies but when it comes to something like this they plaster his picture all over, talk about his home life, blame placing (there was already Video Game talk but then it turned out his brother liked the game and not the shooter...), and generally make this guy into an idol for other monsters. If somebody wants to dig up the info on the guy because they're curious that's one thing but the early hours of a tragedy like this should be focused on the victims.