View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 04:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
for me it's all about mood, there are certain movies that scared me at the time, but now don't at all, I saw Devil back in this old 100 year old house i used to live in, and for some reason that movie got to me, but when i watch it nowadays in my new home....not as scary for some reason...these days very little scares me movie wise, sometimes movies will make me feel uncomfortable like italian giallo's can sometimes, which is a good thing in horror, or fulci's movies, but its usually upon first watch. Are we desensitized?
Yeah, it's very unlikely a film will be scary to someone on the second viewing, especially people who've seen a lot of horror films.

And yeah, feeling the horror has a lot to do with mood -- that is set and setting. Late night in the dark, without interruptions tends to be a good place to start.

I there's a lot of folks that are desensitized, probably more to violence than real horror. Or ironically, some watch too much cinema that they've lost some ability to really get completely absorbed into a film... the constant cinematic stimuli is just all too familiar, like a shower that never stops, like white noise, to really empathize with the characters, to feel like your actually there, anymore.

As far as gaillo and Fulci films, I think part of their effectiveness is they are unusual to 'english speaking' viewers. Fulci's The Beyond and Zombi 2 had a feel to them. I didn't personally find them scary, but decently horrific. I think Bava's Black Sabbath's third segment "The Drop of Water" was effectively scary.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-30-2021 at 08:59 PM.