View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
Hi nine9 as big of a Godzilla fan I am I have to say I really hate the 1970s Godzilla movies with a passion. The 70s Godzilla movies were being made to be like the Gamera movie. The Gamera movies were aimed for kids. Toho wanted kids to see Godzilla movies so in the 70s they began making Godzilla kiddie like movies where Godzilla is out to save the world rather than destroy it. Thsts the reason Toho quit making Godzilla movies in the 70s. They were losing money older people were not watching them so the series ended. I think Tristars so called Godzilla movie in 1998 is a good giant monster movie. However it is not a movie about Godzilla. Let me explain back in 1995 Toho made Godzilla vs. Destroyer it was supose to be the last Godzilla movie and Tristar wanted to buy the rights of Godzilla from Toho so they could make in American Godzilla movie. This was in 1996. Toho said NO so Tristar asked Toho if they could Lease the name Godzilla so they could title their movie Godzilla. Toho said ok but pay us 10Million dollars. Tristar agreed paid the 10 Mil. The monster could not look like Godzilla or have Godzillas trademark Atomic Ray. This was a rule Toho insisted upon. Tristar made a movie not about a mutated Dinosaur as Godzilla was and is but the Tristar monster was a mutated Igunana he was just a Lizard. Mathew Brodrick in the Tristar movie names the giant Igunana Igunanasarus. Not Godzilla. The movie was titled Godzilla and people thought they were really going to see a movie about Godzilla when there was no Godzilla in the movie. Fans were jipped imo. Toho studios has never and will never remake Godzilla just like they will never remake the 7 Samurai. Because the Tristar 98 movie was titled Godzilla as a means to sell tickets to lure fans to see the movie many fans were tricked into thinking they saw a Godzilla movie when infact they didnt. On a side note the director and producer of the 1998 so called Godzilla movie were fired. The 98 movie is probley the best and worst thing that happened. Its the worst in that that 98 movie almost killed the fandom here in the USA. Its the best thing in that after it was made. Toho Studios resurected the Godzilla and contracted to make a 3rd Godzilla series in 1999 starting with Godzilla2000. If I were you Nine9 I would try and watch the Heisei series or Millennium series as they rock and are not anything like the old Showa series of the 70s.