View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Also Cat in the Brain the other day. A lot of people didn't get this movie. Bad makeup effects, bad acting...what else is the descent of a B director into madness going to look like? Brilliant marriage of medium and message. Makes me want to dive headfirst into the entire Fulci canon.
Glad to see you dug this one, Doc.

------------------------------------------

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Well, I went into it knowing that the script kind of removes the magic from the book (and I love the book), so I didn't let that bother me. I just watched it as a movie. So from there, it's a pretty good watch. Special effects are really fun, but so obviously special effects you can never completely sink into it. I really liked the pacing, and I thought they did a great job taking their time with the story...that is until the end. The third act is mostly awful; it's clear the studio couldn't resist an inflated, extraneously action-packed (and cheese-packed) climax and hurried resolution.
That said, I'm still glad I went to see it. Burton's vision is there, mostly, and that was fun to see. Helena Bonham Carter's turn as the Red Queen is pretty wonderful. And there's certainly more to enjoy in Alice in Wonderland than not, I thought, but there are definitely enough problems to also make it frustrating.

And one more complaint, as pissy as it is: they kept calling the creature the Jabberwocky. Jabberwocky is the poem, Jabberwock is the creature. Sure it's a fairly small issue, but it's a detail you'd think a huge multi-million dollar blockbuster would get right.

Last edited by fortunato; 03-09-2010 at 09:59 PM.