View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 04:12 PM
That fucking Guy...

X-Men - Fatigued franchise?

...or is it just me?

I quite liked the X-men films.
Sure they weren't always accurate in terms of character and timeline - but for a franchise that, it would seem, tried to stand apart while giving respect to their source material, they were a pretty decent version of their comic counterpart.

At least, they were at first...then you got X-Men 3 which, for all the mutants it threw into the picture seemed a bit of a sloppy, erratic film - especially right after X2 which is arguably one of the best.

Then along came "first class", and I liked it. What a comeback move.
"Fresh" faces, a reasonably powerhouse villain, and really well written and played young versions of Charles and Erik...the addition to the lore and again standing on it's own version...it was enjoyable, in fact I hold it up there with the top x-men films.
One thing I liked was that it *almost* worked a bit like X-MEN/Generation X, even though it was in one version of the past, having the class of young "new" X-men brought a different feel to it. It was refreshing.

Then, for me...was where it kind of went downhill again...Days of Future Past really should have been split across two movies...it was a decent attempt but so much more they could have done, and it was just impossibly compressed.
I guess it was nice to bring cast-A and cast-B together.
Just, for as interesting as I thought it would be...didn't really do half what the movie prior did for me...and I've not watched it again since.

I've also watched all the Wolverine films - and in my mind they've yet to make a really good wolverine movie.
I get it. People like LOGAN...while I think it was a well made movie that did in fact bring a tone and quality to the series we hadn't really seen before...but for me? It was ok. Still not the movie to do Wolverine justice in my mind.

So... X-Men Apocalypse.
I always found this villain to be one of the most interesting ones.
In some ways essentially (loophole) unbeatable.
Big threat that messes up minds and relationships too, and some of the most interesting battles and story arcs I've ever read have been to do with this character and his history(and future) tampering background.
You'd think as a comic fan that this would have me sweating to see it...
With all of this?
I have purchased, but never turned on this movie.

Now there's another coming out "Dark Phoenix", another storyline I don't think can/should be contained to one film, but it is what it is.
...though...I just have no inclination whatsoever to check this out.

It's kind of disappointing...and I don't know...does the film look shitty? I'm not sure if I can tell any more. Just, zero interest.

Is it just...too much?
Fatigue?

Anyone else?