View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post

Breaking the Waves (1996)

After expressing my appreciation for Antichrist, I took Fearonsarms' recommendation and checked out this other Lars von Trier movie. At nearly three hours, it was an investment and a slow-mover to boot, but that was to be expected. Well worth it. I'm not sure who to hate more, the evil husband, the pious, excommunicating puritans, or maybe even the main character, Bess, for being so frustratingly stupid. Plenty of feel-bad to go around, leaving damage deep in your gut for days afterwards.

7/10.
So glad you watched and got a lot out of it. It is as you say a bit of a big investment of your time but it is definitely very rewarding. There's a lot of intentionally nasty characters and they can be very infuriating to watch with the way they act and behave. But the way it progresses is why I love it so much unfolding with all these super negative human characteristics being revealed. I hated the kids that were throwing rocks at Bess most. What an agonizingly drawn out scene! Not a film you can forget after watching it-it's the same with all Von Trier's films but this is the one I adore the most so I hope it didn't damage your faith in humanity too much :D

Quote:
The Descent (2005)

After about the 5th time watching this, it still doesn't get old. Seemingly such a simple plot, and yet the horror is beautifully multi-layered, ranging from the natural horror of being trapped underground, to the psychological horror of friends deceiving friends, to the almost extraneous horror of cave-evolved rednecks. I still remember my first time watching, when I knew absolutely nothing of what was to come. Neil Marshall, you had me at "F--- the rope bag. Okay, move! Now!"

9/10.
I have this on dvd yet only watched it once and that was year's ago I really need to give it another watch cheers :) and I need to watch Tron Legacy I loved the original but not got around to watching it yet.