View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Your funeral... my trial

I self-published a short-fiction fanzine for a few years, so I have some experience with editing. The best advice I can give you is to make sure your characterizations and the events of the plot are finely-drawn. The easiest way to involve the reader with the world you've created is to make sure these points in particular ring true. Even in Tolkien-esque high fantasy works, it's important to create characters the reader can easily relate to. I'm not one of those people who put down everything that isn't totally original, but it is important to make sure you are saying something new or taking a familiar plot in a different direction.

Another thing that is worth mentioning: if you're working in genre fiction, you should know that the small-press world is fiercely competitive. It is hard to get your work published, even in the smallest zine. Whatever you do, you have to make sure that you are writing every single sentence at your full capacity. It's not easy, but don't give up. Keep writing, polish your skills, finish what you start, and send those manuscripts around! Best of luck to you.