View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Blade Runner 2049
8/10

It's two hours and forty-three minutes long.

There's some films we see and ask ourselves, 'why?'... I mean, 'why did they make this film?', that is, 'what is it trying to say?'. This film is a light touch, and rather existential, neither of which are bad things, if when it's all said and done the audience comes to it's own satisfying conclusion. I don't think that will happen with this film... and at a runtime of two hours and forty-three minutes, that isn't going to sit well with most.
I just don't think the film was more revealing of the subject matter, nor poignant enough.
Though I loved the film but yeah...I can't argue with you or anyone if he/she thinks that the final payoff wasn't much satisfactory enough in compare to its slow burn build up & length of the film. I liked the way the story progressed on Officer K's perspective & all the twists & turns that lead him to that finale and along the way all that nicely captured his inner urge for a family and the choices he made despite what the 'truth' ultimately turned out at the end. His female companion "Joi" was also a clever but moving touch to the story. The confrontation between Niander Wallace (Jared Leto) & Deckard was the most or one of the strongest parts...the way Wallace tried to crush him emotionally & the way Deckard responded (Ford's finest performance in recent years) was quite distressing & compelling at the same time. Though there wasn't any Roy Batty with a touching monologue this time but still overall I found this a pretty good sequel in compare to today's Hollywood standard. Actually we couldn't bargain & get better than this, IMO, a perfect combination of the finest talents of current Hollywood you'll find here in almost every department of the film. Like you said the way Denis Villeneuve & his team kept intact the spirit of the original film, expanded the world beautifully in terms of new characters, a neat story and the overall aesthetic value.

I think it convincingly outshines most other contemporary, so called Sci-Fi masterpieces (i.e. Interstellar or even including his own 2016 film ARRIVAL!).

>>: A

Last edited by roshiq; 10-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.