View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Hi Everybody -

Long-time no post from everyone's favorite monkey (for those newbies not familiar with me, I am basically a god around these parts - you'll note my multiple HDC Trophies and adoring fans).

Anyway - as a lark I popped back in to see this place still existed (well-done you lot). I am also re-enchanted with horror films after seeing the incredible Iranian film - UNDER THE SHADOW. Don't let the subtitles fool you - this is smart, engaging and scary. I'm an old horror hand but the last 30 minutes had me gripping the couch tightly. (and, to be clear, I have NOTHING to do with this film - never even been to Iran). I just think that great horror films deserve an audience (instead of the remake schlock they hurl at us on a regular basis).

So - get your asses over to Netflix and watch this film!! Monkey's orders!! (or else I start the pooh-flinging)
Ditto!

Seen this months ago...it starts mostly like a good contemporary Iranian drama flick focusing a family in distress & social issues, takes its time to set the premise for the characters and then slowly descents into the horror parts with a few but nicely done jump scares & eerie set pieces. Loved it for its skillful direction & great all around performance from the central cast. My only little disappointment was actually the ending that felt kinda forced or to some extent "uneventful"; at least horror fans may going to miss a little punch at the very end. Other than that, this is surely one of the best genre flicks that came out in 2016.

Great to see you back here, Zero!