View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Terror in the Aisles (1984) - A compilation of trailers and scenes from science fiction, crime drama and horror films of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. - (Saw this long ago and enjoyed it. As you can see includes 'crime drama', though I don't recall that. Probably is inferior to a few of the others, & maybe redundant, but I it's one I saw that I know was good. Not recommending this be included.)

American Movie (1999) - (Excellent film!) Documentary about an aspiring filmmaker's attempts to finance his dream project by finally completing the low-budget horror film he abandoned years before.

The Fear of God: 25 Years of 'The Exorcist' (1998) The Exorcist became a cultural phenomenon upon its release. This making-of documentary tells the story of its creation and describes how audiences reacted to it. Interviews with cast and crew are shown.

The Aswang Phenomenon (2011) - What would happen if a country of 97 million people were taught at a young age that the boogie man was real. In the Philippines for the last 400 years, the 'aswang' has been used as propoganda and social control by Spanish Colonizers, the Catholic Church, the Philippine Administration, and even the CIA.

Halloween: 25 Years of Terror (2006) - A documentary that follows the evolution of the 'Halloween' movies over the past twenty-five years

A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King (2011)
- Author Stephen King discusses the various types of horror films and why they are so popular with moviegoers.

I do highly recommend American Movie (1999) and The Fear of God: 25 Years of 'The Exorcist' (1998). American Movie is a really good documentary. Has it all: tough times, family angst, friendship, very funny and heart warming. It's actually become one of the most famous documentaries of all-time, and of course, probably the most famous doc in the horror film subject matter.
Quoting myself from the previous page (since it seems like you are hellbent upon not reading my previous replies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I don't want to focus on documentaries of specific films, hence didn't name some others - the Friday the 13th one, Omen Legacy, Terror in the Aisles, etc.

Looking specifically for documentaries which broadly covers most of our genre's films, it's history and it's impact on modern society and culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Sorry, didn't put those two things together. How long (how many paragraphs or words) are you thinking would be appropriate for a Spec Recs write up? (As I volunteered to do a write up for Ghostbusters.)
Patience. All will be revealed in due time.

-----------------------------

Okay, seems like there are plenty of other good recommendations for the documentaries too, so the number stands expanded to TEN.

These are the finalised choices :-

100 Years of Horror (1996)
A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss (2010)
American Grindhouse (2010)
The American Nightmare (2000)
Flesh and Blood: The Hammer Heritage of Horror (1994)
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006)
It Conquered Hollywood! The Story of American International Pictures (2001)
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film (2009)
Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (2011)
Universal Horror (1998)

Thank you to everyone for chipping in with their thoughts.