View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTodesEngel View Post

Threads was aired on 1984, one Sunday night at 9pm to an unsuspecting UK TV audience, it single handedly put the nation off the nuclear war effort and was then quitely removed from the archives until 2002. Threads redefines the word grim and is hard to imagine what sort of impact this would have had on its viewers given its from an era in TV when there was only 4 channels.
Brutal movie.... Bleak and unrelenting, well worth a watch, delivers a massive punch.

My favourite cold war/ nuclear war film is When the Wind Blows, which I watched at Christmas on TV in the late 80s. Still remains one of the most impactful and powerful movies I have ever seen. A beautiful animation about an elderly couple preparing for and later trying to survive a nuclear attack. Beautifully animated, beautifully voiced the movie draws you in and makes you care about the couple (voiced by John Mills and Peggy Ashcroft no less!) and forces you to follow them through to the bleak reality of nuclear war. Emotional manipulation in its purest form and, for me, a must watch.

What makes both those movies powerful and disturbing is the brutal reality they portray.... Guaranteed to leave you feeling numb at the end.