View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Balada triste de trompeta (The Last Circus) (2010)

Ho-lee cow.
This is one of the craziest film experiences I've had in some time. A fairly tongue-in-cheek allegory of extremes in Franco's Spain, it's told through the story of a twisted love triangle between a sad clown, a happy clown, and a beautiful trapeze artist that is at once completely absorbing, engrossing. The film just flies by.
It reminds me a bit of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Couldn't agree more and can't describe better than above...only I can say it's a totally unpredictable, magnificent mayhem of a love triangle that's a must see for everyone.

>>: A-
Sold. My curiosity had been definitely peaked by J's rec, now Rosh has driven it up even more. Let me see if I can hunt this one down ASAP. Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

For me it was one of the most anticipated films of 2011. And it amazingly exceeds my expectations.

Overall, this is an arty psychological horror film focusing an unflinching battle of wills & dominance between a petrified mother and her sociopath son.

>>: A
Good to hear. The trailer promised a lot and the film does not disappoint. Another one to add to my must-watches soon. Thanks, Rosh.

-------------------

Edgy little suspense thriller which is a pretty decent entertainer. The premise has been done before but the leads (particularly Amber Heard's performance) add a bit of freshness to the proceedings. There are a few instances in the film where you will roll your eyes (expected since the lead actor is a gorgeous blonde), but that can be easily overlooked as minor flaws to the narrative.

Was looking forward to this ever since I caught the trailer. And the film does not disappoint at all. Slightly novel premise of mercenaries on the run after committing a daring robbery who find themselves pitted against a lone, battle-tough and half-crazed Vietnam war vet. Even if both sides are bad enough, you will find yourself rooting for the vet more than once. Reminded me of Rambo meets Wolf Creek but it's nowhere near the standards of those films. But still, where Battleground scores is a bit of novelty in the storyline, some solid cinematography and some nice kills. All in all, a film which does not disappoint.