View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I'm going to film Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Randolph Jaffe.

Basic Plot: (From Wikipedia)
In 1969 Randolph Jaffe discovers a mysterious part of society known as "The Art" while working in the dead letter office in Nebraska. His search brings him to New Mexico where he encounters the mysterious Kissoon, claiming to be the last of the "Shoal". From Kissoon he learns of the mystical dream sea Quiddity and the islands within it known as the Ephemeris. Jaffe flees when Kissoon tries to bargain for his body. Jaffe teams up with a scientist named Fletcher who is able to create a liquid called the 'Nuncio' which enables a human to evolve to a state that would enable him to reach Quiddity. Fletcher has second thoughts however, thinking that Jaffe will use the Nuncio for evil and destroys his laboratory. Jaffe arrives and both are exposed to the Nuncio. The two battle each other for a year and their spirits arrive in Palomo Grove in California in 1971. There, they rape and impregnate four teenage girls. One of the girls is infertile and fails to give birth while another kills herself and her child after giving birth. The third, Trudi Katz, moves away with her baby Howard while the fourth, Joyce McGuire gives birth to twins, Jo-Beth and Tommy Ray.
Eighteen years pass. Howard returns to Palomo grove after the death of his mother. While Jaffe and Fletcher produced offspring in order to continue their battle, Howard and Jo-Beth instead fall in love after meeting. When a former TV comedian, Buddy Vance passes away at the cave where the lake once was, Fletcher and Jaffe are able to escape. Jaffe is able to amass an army of creatures known as Terata using the minds of vulnerable people and gets his son Tommy Ray on his side as well. Howard encounters Fletcher, who explains his heritage to him. Fletcher explains Quiddity to Howard, telling him that the islands Ephemeris contain the Great and Secret Show. Howard refuses to align with his father however. Meanwhile a reporter, Grillo and his assistant Tesla arrive to Palomo Grove to report on Vance's death. Fletcher is unable to amass his own army of hallucigenia from the mind of dreamers and instead kills himself through immolation, spreading his essence to the people of the town.

DiCaprio has shined his best with his slightly less mainstream, more eccentric roles such as What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries. He's also very good in his misunderstood character roles, such as Blood Diamond and The Aviator.

Randolph Jaffe is a character I think Leo will adapt to well. We have a lonely, spindly man in search of the meaning behind the meaning of something in the middle of a dead letter room in Midwestern United States. A man who grows from introverted recluse into a God being to a lost child like creature with a power he cannot stop. I think Leo is a decent actor, well versed enough and liked by the general public and the academy to draw enough from both sides to keep an interest.

Going with a Barker story is a risk. He's a bizarre, niche horror writer whos out of the ordinary plot lines have been an inspiration to me. I think The Great and Secret Show can go over especially well at this time as a play on the state of America. I would intend on making subtle comparisons to the American state (achieving God like powers only to lose control of it and watch it overwhelm) that I feel a lot of the public view us today. I don't wish for political overtones to undermine the story, so the writing subtlety will have to be at it's best. Think of a toned down version of Pleasantville by Gary Ross.

Although Leo has become a big star, I don't think he's lost his passion for niche roles. Clive loves his onscreen, unapologized violence, and Leo doesn't seem to stray from it. With the supporting cast falling in line, I feel like we could produce a powerful horror movie that could win critical acclaim.

Cast: (main players)
Randolph Jaffe - Leonardo DiCaprio
Fletcher - Liam Neeson
Kissoon - David Carradine