View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Hey Chrono- don't let one bad rec stop you from seeing Kairo- I loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I second that recommendation, great film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
And to also throw in my opinion, I think its a very good film (I personally thought it dragged just a bit at times, but its very creepy and atmospheric). You have to watch it ChronoGrl, you might not like it of course, but its one that is kind of a must see in my opinion.
Thanks, Guys.

It's in the Netflix queue. Guess I'll just have to bump it up. :D

I was honestly impressed with the remake - Have you guys seen it?

Yesterday I watched Ekusute (Exte: Hair Extensions)

It's hard to give an impartial review because a) I was fighting the first wave of this death flu, b) I had to get up ever 45 minutes to change laundry, and c) I had to turn it off during the climax because I had a party to run to.

I REALLY shouldn't put in movies when I simply don't have the time to enjoy them.

But anyway.

It wasn't bad. It had some pretty stunningly gruesome visuals and I can definitely appreciate the esoteric and self conscious nod toward the growing archetype of the Onryō as well as the obvious dig to feminine vanity and the obsession with hair. It also rated well on the disgusting gross-out scale with, oftentimes, well, hair sprouting from literally every where.

Honestly, though, my favorite scenes in the movie weren't even necessarily the Kill scenes or the plot scenes; our Big Bad is this absurd caricature who is obsessed with hair, wears an American flag t-shirt and has long dancing and singing scenes in a room literally filled with hair; it was well-crafted absurdity that honestly separated the film from just another Onryō film.

Also, we have the glorious Chiaki Kuriyama (Gogo from Kill Bill), though she plays the cliched giggling JA girl. That being said, I honestly sympathized with her and was interested in her own personal story (at the beginning of the film, her garish sister dumps her niece on her), which turns into a pretty touching mother/daughter theme.

Overall, there are good things (our absurd Big Bad, our touching mother/daughter theme), but I'm not sure whether or not they actually fit well together. The Kills are a bit disappointing (I was expecting more gore I guess) and there wasn't really a whole lot of suspense. It just seemed... Absolutely disjointed.

What's weird is... I'd watch it again. So, it couldn't have been that bad.

It's the kind of movie where, I'd recommend it, but don't expect anything particularly novel. And I wouldn't suggest necessarily paying for it.

2.5/5

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 11-10-2008 at 05:43 PM.