View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Hellraiser

She walked through the first door, and went down the narrow hallway to the second, then leaned against the door. The crowd sounded pretty rowdy out there, and she hesitated to just stroll in. She might be naive, but her mama hadn't raised no fool.

Grinning, she raised her hand and struck herself across the face several times. Her lip split under the blows, and she watched her blood spray out in a brief arc. Vera-Ellen then prodded the corner of her reddened eyes with her delicate fingernails, until tears flowed down to coat her cheeks.

Now she was ready.

Head down, Vera-Ellen opened the door and stumbled into the room, and ran right into a wide, denim covered chest. She looked up through frightened, tearstained eyes and flinched away from Clem. He grabbed her by the upper arms.
"Where do you think you're going, little girl?" he rumbled, satisfaction oozing from every pore. He held her at arms length and looked her over.
"Sully seems to have brought your snooty ass down a notch or two, huh?"
He grinned, and took her chin in his hand, forcing her to face him. She refused to look at him, until he shook her lightly.
"Well, girlie? Did he teach you some manners or what?"
In a trembling voice close to tears, Vera-Ellen replied quietly.
"Yeah, he really showed me what was up."
She met Clem's eyes briefly, then looked away.
"He sent me out here to get some supplies. I'm supposed to bring him some cold beer."
She hung her head again, turning her face away; then whispered to Clem.
"Sully says the party's over. You're supposed to clear everyone out of here."
A sob catching in her throat, she continued.
"When you're done with that, you're supposed to come back and teach me a lesson too."