View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 04:22 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Nun 2018 ★★★½

Glad I finally got around to this one.

While the story – a secret entity that needs to be contained – is not very original, The Nun does manage to come with good moodsetting and some great visuals like the turning and burning cross at the burning cross.

Jonas Bloquet is good as Frenchie, floating back and forth between charming and flirty. Why they made him French Canadian is unknown to me. Taissa Farmiga delivers a well dosed performance. She does not take over the screen as in “here I am”, since her character is not written that way. But when necessary, she does command your attention.

Good stuff overall. Pretty entertaining with some good moments. Makes me want to watch The Conjuring 2.
I really liked The Conjuring. Conjuring 2, I didn't like the story as much, but it did star Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) and Ed (Patrick Wilson) Warren, who are just really enjoyable heroes, and it was directed by James Wan, so had good production value.

The Nun doesn't have the Warren's or Wan, and the previews made the film look disjointed and unnecessary. I saw a review saying it had "inconsistent logic and narrative slackness", which grates on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BORIS KARLOFF:THE MAN BEHIND THE MONSTER (2021). Very good doc on the Horror icon with good input by David Skal, Greg Mank, Peter Bogdonavich, Guillermo Del Toro, Dick Miller, Roger Corman and his daughter Sara Karloff, who is older than he was when He passed and looking very much like him. Plenty of clips from his better known films with some TV shows and audio interviews. Some good history of a somewhat contentious family background and info on how He help found the Screen Actors Guild. ****
That looks really good. I see azm prime has it with ads.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-23-2024 at 07:47 PM.