View Single Post
Old 08-16-2023, 09:04 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I saw this some time back; should give it a re-watch.

DON'T LOOK NOW (1973). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After the loss of their daughter, a grieving couple go to Venice (which looks crumbly and deserted) where He is helping with a church restoration. His wife (well played by lovely Julie Christie) meets a pair of women, one who has second sight and gives her some hope, but will it matter if the husband is kind of dick-ish.
This film looks absolutely fantastic (very much an art film) and a excellent score by Donnagio. However, I found DLN meanders and hard to understand at time (also the fact that Criterion never has subtitles certainly didn't help), but it has aged well and worth seeing.
The controversial "Sex scene" really goes by so quick that it may have been people thinking what they THOUGHT they saw that caused the fuss. Also, why Julie would actually "do it" with Donald Sutherland (who usually doesn't inspire kind feelings in anything) when dating Warren Beatty at the time doesn't mesh. ***
I've never seen this, mostly because I think I'm going to have to be in good mood to get through it. It's not easy to watch films that "meanders", especially if they are essentially maudlin, morose or even nihilistic. So, is this a horror film?