View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 10:49 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Goonies 1985 ★★★★

After the emotional moments at the Oscar-ceremony – the teary eyed Goonies never say die – I felt a certain moral obligation to rewatch The Goonies. I'm sure I saw it one time or another but I definetily not put my finger on where.

It delivered on every level. This is for all the eighties nostalgics who wants to go back on a trip to their youth. A perfect bland of cu-razy adventures and the type of cartoonish over the top villains you would expect in akids film. That last one is no surprise when you cast the mama from Throw mama from the train? But Cypher cartoonish? Or Robert Davi? The Bond villain who feeds FBI-agents to a shark and puts a traitor in a laundromath? Actually, you know what? He might be overqualified.

Not to mention the cheekiness that kids have and get away. Tailor made for Coray Feldman. (On a sidenote: Imagine him doing Franco's part in Spring Breakers. What would that be like?)

And of course the portrayal of a budding and lasting friendship. Friends who don't let each other down and do everything to look out for each other. Especially touching when you know the real life friendships that are rooted in the shooting of this film. And by the end with the predictable popping up of the ship, you are good and ready for a good sob. And who is not entitled to that every once in a while?
I saw Goonies in the theatre. And I wanted to leave. I'll never understand the love for Goonies, too bad for me. I can't imagine trying to see it again. The type of humor just grates on me, and all the screaming.