View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 PM
That fucking Guy...

It's Luther Vandross.

Last watched "The Orville".
Not the latest episode, the one before it.
Treads into some well-worn Star Trek boots (Having to work with an enemy to survive a hostile situation/terrain) but doing well at it.

I've noticed a lot less comedy in this season.
You can tell that McFarlane has wanted to do a show like this for a while (there's even a student "movie" online with a young Seth and friend playing Starfleet officers) when you watch the Orville...he works on the show and as part of the actual cast as well, seems to be having fun - and it's been great to see across both seasons that he's "reeling it in" a bit, we didn't get another carbon copy of Family Guy - We got a heartfelt, and well thought out sci-fi show with a cast that plays really well off each other.
The comedy reduction this season...I think it's that McFarlane may have started to realise that his vision can still be funny, still be interesting and watchable, without an intentionally whacky joke every two minutes.

Honestly?
I feel like we might be seeing Seth McFarlane become like, a "real director" after all these family guy years, I still think this is the best thing he's ever done.

But yeah...still good stuff.
I love DISCOVERY, but this is actually closer to what ST *was*.