View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Well its been a long time, but I remember the story was dull. The acting was poor. Nothing interesting about the cinematography. If it did not have its high production values it would be a d film not worth watching at all. And the "who's doing the killing" was annoying, not intriguing.
Fair enough.
I disagree with the story. I found it to be a fairly subversive take on horror cliches that existed in the slasher genre for decades preceding it. Cliches that where worn out by the time Scream came out. Thus for me anyway, the story feels fresh and new.
The acting was OK. Nothing great but I wouldn't say poor.
In terms of cinematography, I found the movie interesting for having sequences shot during the day and some clever uses of dutch angles.
In my opinion, Scream is a step above most slasher movies. It also helped rejuvenate the horror genre as a whole because if it wasn't the surprise box office hit that it was, the horror genre wouldn't be as popular as it is now.
In the mid 90's the genre was mostly dead. Scream showed movie studios and audiences that horror films are still good.
So at the very least Scream should be at least somewhat respected as an important horror film.
Then again, if you don't like the movie that's fine. People are entitled to their own opinion. If you haven't watched Scream in a while, check it out. Maybe you'll change your mind about it.
If you watch it and still don't like it, then let me know and we can continue this chat.

Either way, I think we can both agree that Wes Cravens New Nightmare is the better than Scream.