Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guns in horror (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66871)

killthesunset 02-20-2016 02:33 AM

Guns in horror

I wanted to ask people's opinions on whether guns really add to a horror movie? Are they that scary? Trying to think (other than grindhouse exceptions) where guns really add to the film? ::confused::

Repo'd 02-20-2016 03:42 AM

Reggie's quadruple barrel shotgun in Phantasm certainly adds something special.

MichaelMyers 02-20-2016 04:03 AM

Guns don't kill the killer. That I've learned.

The Bloofer Lady 02-20-2016 09:45 AM

Guns can kill but they're not scary like a hatchet or a butcher knife, etc. Its the expectation of the pain caused. Guns are more suited to gangster movies. Picture Michael Myers walking with a gun....

Sculpt 02-20-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killthesunset (Post 1010492)
I wanted to ask people's opinions on whether guns really add to a horror movie? Are they that scary? Trying to think (other than grindhouse exceptions) where guns really add to the film? ::confused::

Seems like an odd question. Of course adding a gun to a situation changes things a lot. Speaking of horror in films, when a disturbed person pulls out a gun, it gets very scary. Things have just become deadly. When Im deeply involved with the characters and their safety, it's scares me plenty.

It's all in the context. If you're in the middle of an over-the-top zombie, vampire, werewolf action adventure, seeing a gun isn't likely to be scary.

SerialKiller 02-21-2016 12:24 AM

Guns are not scary in horror films. Too fast & convenient for my taste. The psychopath holding the gun is whats really scary. I'd rather be shot than attacked with a chainsaw though. You saw what Mike did with Brady's shotgun in H4, like bitch I don't need this, as he casually tossed it aside. ::big grin:: He used his hands. That's scary.

horcrux2007 02-21-2016 06:12 AM

They can be quick and shocking at times, but as for a longer lasting terror, they're not very effective.

Giganticface 02-21-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1010500)
Seems like an odd question. Of course adding a gun to a situation changes things a lot. Speaking of horror in films, when a disturbed person pulls out a gun, it gets very scary. Things have just become deadly. When Im deeply involved with the characters and there safety, it's scares me plenty.

It's all in the context. If you're in the middle of an over-the-top zombie, vampire, werewolf action adventure, seeing a gun isn't likely to be scary.

I agree with Sculpt 100%. It's all about the context.

MichaelMyers 02-21-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1010500)
Seems like an odd question. Of course adding a gun to a situation changes things a lot. Speaking of horror in films, when a disturbed person pulls out a gun, it gets very scary. Things have just become deadly. When Im deeply involved with the characters and there safety, it's scares me plenty.

Do you feel a twinge of horror when you see someone carrying a gun around in public?

Sculpt 02-21-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers (Post 1010525)
Do you feel a twinge of horror when you see someone carrying a gun around in public?

Basically no. In my state, the only people allowed to carry non-concealed guns in "public" are police. If I saw a plain-clothes person "out in public" with a gun out, I would immediately try to determine why. You might label that as a "twinge of horror", although I wouldn't describe it in those words -- more a concern for life. Concern isn't horror, but horror is concern.