Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Intelligent horror" films? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458)

Sick_As_Fuck 10-08-2003 06:27 PM

"Intelligent horror" films?

I was wondering everyone's feelings on these new intelligent horror films. Movies such as "Mothman Prophecies", "The Ring", and "FearDotCom". Although they're not too scary, they're still considered part of the horror genre. The difference is they replace the senseless killing and gore with mystery and hard-to-solve scenarios. And I guess this is how the new Texas Chainsaw movie will be as well, so I've heard. Anyways, I was just wondering everyone's opinions on these types.

scare_queen 10-08-2003 09:02 PM

M.P.... was an "eh" kinda movie it was good... better than alot but not one of the best.
I loved the ring. It scared the SHIT out of me... I wouldn't go near a TV for a week lol (but that was after I went and saw it 3 more times :p )
Fear.com I left within 20 mins of it starting. I almost puked, not because of the 'gore' but because of the camera motions.... it was the blair witch project all over again.

Killer Clown#1 10-09-2003 03:11 AM

Idenity was pretty inteligent and if it was'int then it would have not been any good because I like movies that make you think.

Tony 10-09-2003 04:09 AM

I'm ok with them as long as they are horror flicks. Personally I'm a big slasher fan but whatever comes out way we gotta take it or leave it. Being a horror fan since 4 I'll take what comes.

scare_queen 10-09-2003 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Killer Clown#1
Idenity was pretty inteligent and if it was'int then it would have not been any good because I like movies that make you think.
I LOVED identity! That was a good movie. I love movies with twists at the end like that.

Krzychu 10-09-2003 01:23 PM

Something new

Films were selected by Sick_As_Fuck are very intersting. In my opinion that movies are not horror. Maybe a horror-director near future take adventage of that films? Peraphs, modern horrors scene will get good and terrible as fuck film??
I think horror movies need something new. Otherwise this genre, sooner or late, will die.

nightbreed 10-09-2003 02:16 PM

soo at what point of the original texas chainsaw massacre was there a whole lot of gore? Maybe i missed somthing but in the version I own most of the gore is implied and not shown...

Sick_As_Fuck 10-09-2003 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nightbreed
soo at what point of the original texas chainsaw massacre was there a whole lot of gore? Maybe i missed somthing but in the version I own most of the gore is implied and not shown...
It wasn't intelligently done though. I've heard that the new one will have a more dark, intelligent, mysterious plot to it. Not just the teens enter the house, Leatherface and friends kill them, the end. We'll see in 8 more days though. I for one can't wait.

Tony 10-09-2003 05:48 PM

Personally I would rather see the kids in the new TCM walk their ignorant asses into that house. Get the shit killed right out of them...all of them. Not one survivor. No other plot than that. That would be the most intelligent way to do it in my opinion. I don't think I'll get that but I hope it's a good movie either way.

avenger00soul 10-11-2003 03:08 PM

Re: "Intelligent horror" films?

Quote:

Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
I was wondering everyone's feelings on these new intelligent horror films. Movies such as "Mothman Prophecies", "The Ring", and "FearDotCom". Although they're not too scary, they're still considered part of the horror genre. The difference is they replace the senseless killing and gore with mystery and hard-to-solve scenarios. And I guess this is how the new Texas Chainsaw movie will be as well, so I've heard. Anyways, I was just wondering everyone's opinions on these types.
Feardotcom was not an intelligent horror movie. So The Ring wasn't scary huh? Could have fooled me.