Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DVDR Sale Sites (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33111)

VampiricClown 02-28-2008 02:07 PM

DVDR Sale Sites

Are these even legal? I've seen tons of sites offering movies on DVDR for sale. What is up with these sites? Is there not some kind of copyright infringement going on there?

Also, are these sites actually selling DVDs that have decent quality?

Freak 02-28-2008 02:09 PM

I know alot of people frown upon it but i just download and burn my own.It's cheap plus all mine are dvd quality.

VampiricClown 02-28-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 669103)
I know alot of people frown upon it but i just download and burn my own.It's cheap plus all mine are dvd quality.

But is it legal for these sites to sell these? If so, I should order some of these "rare" films, and copy and sell them myself. Not to mention, my uncle gave me a movie collection of over 1,000 movies on VHS.

Freak 02-28-2008 02:19 PM

I'm sure on some level its illegal but you run a real risk of buying them from these people.

They could be setting you up or they could be fakes or real crappy copies.

I personally wouldn't do it but thats just me.

VampiricClown 02-28-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 669107)
I'm sure on some level its illegal but you run a real risk of buying them from these people.

They could be setting you up or they could be fakes or real crappy copies.

I personally wouldn't do it but thats just me.

Or are they selling movies that are now in the public domain? That's the only way that I can see that they would be able to pull it off.

neverending 02-28-2008 02:33 PM

Haahahahahaha... on "some level" it's illegal... hahahahahaha...

ROD GET IN HERE AND TALK TO THESE KIDS.

VampiricClown 02-28-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 669111)
Haahahahahaha... on "some level" it's illegal... hahahahahaha...

ROD GET IN HERE AND TALK TO THESE KIDS.

That's what I'm wondering.

Though, if I am correct, you can sell such films as Carnival Of Souls (1962) on DVDR without getting into any legal trouble, because the copyright on such films have died.

Roderick Usher 02-29-2008 08:38 AM

Please do not steal films

Just because it's easy and "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it less illegal and wrong. There's a simple rule to follow in order to live a life of positive karma that I have drilled into my kid's head...Do the right thing ALL THE TIME, not because you're afraid of being caught, but simply because it is the right thing to do.

This doesn't mean the LAW is what is important here, it's the fact that the people who dedicate their life (at no small sacrifice) to create the art and entertainment (to which all of you are so addicted) are receiving no compensation - it is stealing from them. From my friends. From me.

Sure, public domain films are legal to copy - but if you are in doubt as to the copyright status on a film then you can be certain that it is protected.

VampiricClown 02-29-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Usher (Post 669323)
Please do not steal films

Just because it's easy and "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it less illegal and wrong. There's a simple rule to follow in order to live a life of positive karma that I have drilled into my kid's head...Do the right thing ALL THE TIME, not because you're afraid of being caught, but simply because it is the right thing to do.

This doesn't mean the LAW is what is important here, it's the fact that the people who dedicate their life (at no small sacrifice) to create the art and entertainment (to which all of you are so addicted) are receiving no compensation - it is stealing from them. From my friends. From me.

Sure, public domain films are legal to copy - but if you are in doubt as to the copyright status on a film then you can be certain that it is protected.

I really don't think anyone got the point of this thread....

Elvis_Christ 02-29-2008 02:32 PM

I thought a lot of these sites were to get some of the rarer shit out to people thus giving writers and filmakers some recognition.