Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Gay Thread (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39172)

urgeok2 11-21-2008 12:09 PM

The Gay Thread

well, since the recent coming out party - there has been a common subject running through most of the threads ... so why not beat that dead horse right here.

seems like people have a ton of thoughts that are popping out here and there ... we might as well get them all in one place ... lets see what the general consensus is.

Personally - when i was born - my mother had a gay best friend (this is the 50's) and he was my godfather.
All i knew from seeing him was that he was a nice guy. Met one of his partners once and he ga=ve me stamps from his home country (jugoslavia) which i thought was pretty cool.

So it wasnt a matter of tolerance - there was simply no question of it being something we had to 'tolerate' - it just was.

pretty much lived my life that way and we're raising my son that way as well.
My wife is of the same mind as myself.

I've met a lot of gay men through my life - most were as i mentioned in a previous post - very articulate, cultured, intelligent men. None were the flaming effeminate queens portrayed in films ... they were just guys with a great sense of style, well groomed, polite, etc.

I know it's crazy to assume all gay men are like this - it's practically another stereotype - but this has been my personal experience.

I have known of the flaming queen types and i dont care for them... anymore than i care for any show of phoniness or overt cliched sexuality. (that goes for ginos, bimbos, or anything else in that vein)
People using gayness as a way to make themselves more interesting isnt cool with most other gays anymore than it is with anyone with a brain.
(no this isnt a shot at you Posher - i know you're just enjoying the release - i expect it will become a non issue for even you before long)

I dont like homophobes. they are in the same class as sexist assholes and racists.... people with hateful opinions based on 100% pure unadulterated ignorance. people content to live in unenlightened dark ages - who are terrified by anything they dont understand.

most homophobic males are usually overcompensating for their own shakey sexuality. for some its a religious thing. either way - i think it's childish and dangerous. who you love is who you love. it shouldnt be gender specific if you intellectualize it. our genetic predisposition to breeding - the continuation of our species is the first primal decree most of us follow ... but other factors - nature or nurture - or both - can take over after that.

anyway - more rambling ...

anyone else want a say ?

Despare 11-21-2008 12:12 PM

Well said Urge, although I do feel people have a right to be racist, hateful, homophobic, and sexist. I don't have to agree, like, or listen to those people but they can feel however they like.

skyblue342 11-21-2008 12:14 PM

Well i already wrote this but i'll write it again. I'm bisexaul i chose to get married to my wife because we had a child and she was my best friend (still is) my brothers gay hes getting married pretty soon to his boyfriend marc. I grew up around gay people my mother had alot of friends and i was exposed to it for along time.

urgeok2 11-21-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despare (Post 761339)
Well said Urge, although I do feel people have a right to be racist, hateful, homophobic, and sexist. I don't have to agree, like, or listen to those people but they can feel however they like.

yeah - its true - they can - i just get sick of tired of hearing it.

one thing a lot of people never take into consideration - is that just because you're a straight, white male, it doesnt mean i want to hear sexist, homophobic, racist garbage ... but i do - directly - all the time because some dick head assumes i'll be cool with it.

Angra 11-21-2008 12:17 PM

1 thing.

I like gay people, as long as they're not making a pass on me.

You can call that homophobic, i don't care.

ferretchucker 11-21-2008 12:18 PM

The thing that annoys me is that racists, sexists and homophobics choose to be those things. A persons Race, sex or Sexuality isn't their choice. I think discriminating someone for something they can't change is despicable, though as Despare said, they have a right to their opinions. I think I'd rather they didn't voice them though. Because the second something leaves the persons mouth, they can't take it back and it effects those who heard it.

Despare 11-21-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 761348)
1 thing.

People always say that and guess what... it NEVER happens. I'd be taken aback by it too but I don't expect to ever happen within my lifetime.

Oh, and Ferret, what about skyblue? He's bi so his sexuality is a choice, he's just attracted to people right?

urgeok2 11-21-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 761348)
1 thing.

it might help you have some understanding to some extent if you've ever made an unwanted pass at a female.

skyblue342 11-21-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretchucker (Post 761351)
The thing that annoys me is that racists, sexists and homophobics choose to be those things. A persons Race, sex or Sexuality isn't their choice. I think discriminating someone for something they can't change is despicable, though as Despare said, they have a right to their opinions. I think I'd rather they didn't voice them though. Because the second something leaves the persons mouth, they can't take it back and it effects those who heard it.

Wow i totally agree for real!

Angra 11-21-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 761354)
it might help you have some understanding to some extent if you've ever made an unwanted pass at a female.

Never a gay female no.