Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Horror Sequels Better Than The Original (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61308)

Jigsaw Killer 07-10-2012 02:35 PM

Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

What are some Horror sequels you prefer to the originals? In no order, a few I like better include:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Aliens
Predator 2
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3

To name a few, I'm sure there's more. I know some of my picks like Predator 2 may seem odd, but that doesn't mean I dislike the originals, I just like their sequels more. Predator 2 I enjoy better for seeing more of the Predator and in a different setting, and I liked Nightmares 3 and 7 better for being more elaborate and creative than the first Nightmare. Even though I do love the originals in each of their series.

saw1 07-10-2012 04:16 PM

welcome "jigsaw"

return of the living dead 2 ....
---
but in general....I see that first part often be the best .....
because the main story in it ...for example
saw 1
child’s play 1
scream 1
mirror 1
evil dead 1

Fearonsarms 07-10-2012 04:23 PM

Agree about return of the living dead part 2

Also include Phantasm 2, Hellraiser 2:Hellbound, Beyond Reanimator

Puppetmaster 2, 3 and 4

Wishmaster 2 and 3

Amityville 2

Dawn Of The Dead (original), Day Of The Dead, Land Of The Dead

Predator 2

Maniac Cop 2 and 3

Friday The 13th Part 4

Art Of The Devil 2

August Underground Mordum

Bob Gray 07-10-2012 07:21 PM

The Devil's Rejects
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Dawn of the Dead
Demons II
Return of the Living Dead II
A Nightmare on Elm Street III, IV, V, and New Nightmare
Aliens

SofaKing 07-15-2012 01:50 PM

Evil Dead 2
Aliens
most Friday the 13th are better than the original imo
The Devil's Rejects
Hostel 2

neverending 07-15-2012 03:46 PM

Bride of Frankenstein

Fearonsarms 07-18-2012 01:44 PM

Also

Exorcist 3
The Devil's Rejects
Child's Play 3

Anthropophagus 07-19-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 928539)
What are some Horror sequels you prefer to the originals? In no order, a few I like better include:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Aliens
Predator 2
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3

I have to disagree with each and every one of these.None are as good as the original movies in mu opinion.Even Aliens,superb that it is it isnt as good as Ridley`s Stunning original.

Dawn of the Dead would get my vote,not the remake of course,though i do enjoy that one too.
Hostel 2 and mainly because i fell in love with Bijou Philips.;)

It is hard to top the first movie in a franchise though.

Hocika 07-23-2012 07:55 PM

My favorite is Aliens

Elvis_Christ 07-24-2012 10:52 PM

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 better than the original? Get outta here! :D

Hatchet II and Final Destination 2 are a couple that come to mind for me.

Jigsaw Killer 07-25-2012 03:41 AM

I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

Fearonsarms 07-26-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 929404)
I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

I agree but the reason is that I found what happens to the characters to be more macabre. I still adore the original which is certainly dark and has some very memorable scenes but the second just about beats it.

Jigsaw Killer 07-26-2012 08:17 PM

I agree. And like I said I like how ROTLD2 took place in different setting from the original.

Elvis_Christ 07-26-2012 09:22 PM

Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

donniedarko 07-27-2012 08:50 PM

The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

The Villain 07-28-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 929583)
The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The original is a classic and started a new trend in horror. The 4th one was a joke, an insult to the original. It wasn't scary or funny and the ending wasn't shocking IMO, it was a lame twist more commonly seen in the Scream ripoffs then the actual Scream movies who knew enough to never go overboard with their reveals.

Fearonsarms 07-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 929512)
Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

Jigsaw Killer 07-28-2012 07:34 PM

The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

Elvis_Christ 07-28-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 929636)
Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

So you did. Skimmed it too quickly but I didn't find what happened to them to be very macabre either *sigh*

Fearonsarms 07-29-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 929687)
The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

I 100% agree I don't hate House of 1000 corpses but let's be honest it was a mess despite having some good moments. The Devil's Rejects built on the potential of the first film, broadened it's scope and was a more successful throwback to the grindhouse era.

Bob Gray 07-29-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 929732)
I 100% agree I don't hate House of 1000 corpses but let's be honest it was a mess despite having some good moments. The Devil's Rejects built on the potential of the first film, broadened it's scope and was a more successful throwback to the grindhouse era.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I absolutely love House of 1,000 Corpses and felt that The Devil's Rejects was a great sequel too but not as great as the first movie.

Straker 07-29-2012 03:49 PM

It's really rare I prefer a sequel to the original and disagree with 90% of what people have listed in this thread, but I am kinda surprised noone has mentioned Blade 2 yet...

The Villain 07-29-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straker (Post 929821)
It's really rare I prefer a sequel to the original and disagree with 90% of what people have listed in this thread, but I am kinda surprised noone has mentioned Blade 2 yet...

Didn't even think about that. Blade 2 is a lot better then the first one.

Fearonsarms 07-30-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Gray (Post 929782)
I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I absolutely love House of 1,000 Corpses and felt that The Devil's Rejects was a great sequel too but not as great as the first movie.

I do genuinely understand that there will be people who prefer the first film it was full of some very great ideas-I just felt they were delivered in a patchy and messy way whereas The Devil's Rejects also had inventive ideas but were delivered in a more cohesive, well arranged and gripping way

Bob Gray 07-30-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 929878)
I do genuinely understand that there will be people who prefer the first film it was full of some very great ideas-I just felt they were delivered in a patchy and messy way whereas The Devil's Rejects also had inventive ideas but were delivered in a more cohesive, well arranged and gripping way

Truth is, I don't even have a clue what it is about the first movie that I like so much, I just do.

realdealblues 07-30-2012 08:03 AM

More Thriller maybe than Horror and while perhaps not a direct sequel in some minds, Silence Of The Lambs was perfect. I do still like Manhunter though.

Angra 07-30-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 929822)
Didn't even think about that. Blade 2 is a lot better then the first one.

Agreed.

Loved the new vampire breed and their crazy-ass mouths. :D

Nat94 07-30-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 929922)
Agreed.

Agreed, I would say in order of my faves it would be 2, 3 then 1.. The series is just crap

The Villain 07-30-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 929922)
Agreed.

Yeah plus the cast was a lot better. The villain's in the first were just stupid....not as bad as the third one though.

ispydork 07-31-2012 02:48 PM

Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Can't think of anymore right now.

Fearonsarms 07-31-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ispydork (Post 930010)

I LOVE that film and completely understand why you would say it is better than the original. I don't agree for the only reason that I think I've watched the original the most times. Though I saw Part 3 first so it will always have a special place in my heart.

donniedarko 08-02-2012 08:52 AM

Another horror sequel I prefered is Poltergiest II over Poltergeist. I guess an all around film the first is better, and when I put my top 100 on another forum I belong to itvwas ranked higher, but I believe the second was scarier. Just had more shocking scenes and a better pace.

Jigsaw Killer 08-02-2012 02:24 PM

I always have preferred Poltergeist II to the first one, also. Mainly because I liked the story better and Kane was a great villain.

Fearonsarms 08-05-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 930272)
I always have preferred Poltergeist II to the first one, also. Mainly because I liked the story better and Kane was a great villain.

I found the dialogue to be very sharp and witty in Poltergeist 2 (much more so than the original) and it had some very memorable scenes such as those with creepy Kane-so I enjoyed it a lot. I've probably watched the first film more times though so still prefer it.

_____V_____ 08-05-2012 01:34 AM

Mod note :- Thread edited. Please stick to the topic in discussion.

Jigsaw Killer 08-13-2012 07:23 PM

I think [REC] 2 was another I enjoyed more than the original, from my memory of the first two [REC] films.

Fearonsarms 08-17-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 931366)
I think [REC] 2 was another I enjoyed more than the original, from my memory of the first two [REC] films.

I like them both equally. I'm in the camp that liked the different direction the second went in-much better than trying to re-hash the first film.

Dead&Bloated 08-17-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ispydork (Post 930010)

I agree completely! Dream Warriors is by far the best Elm Street. Love it! Another sequel that is better than the first is Dawn of the Dead. I love Night and Day has some damn good gore, but Dawn of the Dead is special.

Jigsaw Killer 08-18-2012 04:28 PM

If it counts as at least part Horror, I also like Gremlins 2 better than the first. I love the original, but the second one was too much fun with the mutant Gremlins rampaging in the corporate building and Gizmo becoming a badass. While it lacked the darker tone and edge of the first one I think it more than makes up for it with sheer fun.

ChronoGrl 08-19-2012 05:52 PM

I know I'm in the minority but I honestly think that 28 Weeks Later is superior to 28 Days Later. To me, the first movie had a lot of flaws that detracted from the mood and horror while the sequel was really a brilliantly made horror-fest.

Also, Evil Dead II is a far superior movie than the first though I tend to be of the opinion that II was more of a remake for Raimi than a sequel. On that note, Army of Darkness in my opinion is better than the original (though II is slightly better than AoD in my mind - not by much, but slightly better).