Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (http://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (http://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Frighteners (http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26269)

mattalgrand 11-21-2006 11:13 AM

The Frighteners
 
I recently re-watched The Frighteners (on the fantastic Director's Cut DVD with almost an almost 4 hour long making-of documentary) and I couldn't help but really enjoy it this time around. I think the first half of the movie is an alright CGI-goofball comedy but by the last hour, it veers into a dark and demented horror flick that works on many levels.

I don't think The Frighteners had its due, technology and quality-wise, when it was first released. Peter Jackson sure knows how to make some fun flicks.

Vodstok 11-21-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattalgrand (Post 512409)
I recently re-watched The Frighteners (on the fantastic Director's Cut DVD with almost an almost 4 hour long making-of documentary) and I couldn't help but really enjoy it this time around. I think the first half of the movie is an alright CGI-goofball comedy but by the last hour, it veers into a dark and demented horror flick that works on many levels.

I don't think The Frighteners had its due, technology and quality-wise, when it was first released. Peter Jackson sure knows how to make some fun flicks.

I havent seen any special features, but i remember seeing it when it came out on video and wondering how it didnt do better.I LOVED it.

the_real_linda 11-21-2006 03:16 PM

i loved it....i still got it on vhs.....i am now a peter jackson fan.....someone who can do that and heavenly creatures and braindead is fine by me

paws the great 11-21-2006 04:37 PM

The Frighteners is a favorite of mine.

Great flick.:D

the_real_linda 11-21-2006 04:45 PM

how could people not like it....a melanie lynskey cameo in it too

http://www.nndb.com/people/922/000043793/melanie.jpg

The_Return 11-21-2006 04:51 PM

My all-time favourite movie, bar NONE.

GetrDone 11-21-2006 07:13 PM

I just bought the Director's Cut last week. Haven't watched this one with the bonus features yet but I really loved it when it first came out.

Disease 11-21-2006 11:35 PM

I saw it a couple of times a long time ago and never got into it, I'll see it again sometime on latenight tv perhaps.

Roderick Usher 11-22-2006 09:44 AM

This is one of those films that makes me crazy.

The elements are all there...comedy, horror, cool fx, an interesting premise... but this one never really clicked with me.

I'm gonna have to lay this one at the feet of the actors. MJ Fox is so likable and benign that you never believe that he Could have killed his own wife (like the townsfolk think)

And Jake Busey plays the whole movie like a cartoon character - and it sort of takes me out of the film.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but don't love it.

Vodstok 11-22-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Usher (Post 512912)
This is one of those films that makes me crazy.

The elements are all there...comedy, horror, cool fx, an interesting premise... but this one never really clicked with me.

I'm gonna have to lay this one at the feet of the actors. MJ Fox is so likable and benign that you never believe that he Could have killed his own wife (like the townsfolk think)

And Jake Busey plays the whole movie like a cartoon character - and it sort of takes me out of the film.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but don't love it.

Gotta agree with you on MJF... I could walk in on him slashing someone to pieces and probably wouldnt buy it...

LadyFrost 11-22-2006 09:53 AM

i liked it. when it first came out it scared the living daylights out of me (but dont take this to heart as im an easy scare!). It has pretty good graphics for its time, the acting was so-so, but it some how pulled itself away from that and turned out to be a good movie. If it was placed in front of me right now i'd watch it....its good, but if i had the choose i wouldnt buy it myself...its one of those movies where i wouldnt be disappointed if i got it as a gift but i wouldnt spend money from my own pocket to own it.

Sorry to all those die hard fans out there...but i do like it! its a great movie!

Ciao

xXLadyFrostXx

stubbornforgey 11-22-2006 08:32 PM

Can somebody tell me how the lift was supposed to work in that
old abandoned ..mental hospital when there was 'ahem'.........
NO FUCKEN POWER!!!

Vodstok 11-24-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubbornforgey (Post 513217)
Can somebody tell me how the lift was supposed to work in that
old abandoned ..mental hospital when there was 'ahem'.........
NO FUCKEN POWER!!!

but you are cool with a ghost crushing people's hearts and Michael J Fox seeing the dead? ;)

Zero 11-26-2006 06:18 PM

among my oldest friends i'm notorious for bad predictions (such as: "madonna will be a one-hit wonder - opps). one of my big bad predictions came after seeing the Frighteners that "this will be bigger than ghostbusters". damn, i suck!

mattalgrand 11-27-2006 08:06 AM

If guys pick up the Director's Cut DVD, definitely watch the commentary. Even though he's talking to himself, it's really one of the best out there. Peter Jackson is just an all around awesome guy.

idoneus1957 06-26-2018 07:54 AM

whatever happened to her?
 
Whatever happened to Trini Alvarado (The Frighteners)? And how come Trini Alvarado is a girl, while Trini Lopez (singer, "Lemon Tree") is a guy?

Sculpt 06-26-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1031844)
Whatever happened to Trini Alvarado (The Frighteners)? And how come Trini Alvarado is a girl, while Trini Lopez (singer, "Lemon Tree") is a guy?

Quote:

In May 2014, she appeared in the episode "Forget Me" of the single-season ABC series Black Box, her first acting job in over four years
Looking at Trini Alvarado's face was the only thing I enjoyed about Frighteners. I really didn't like it. I didn't think it was funny, so that's pretty much it, cause besides nice looking FX, it was extremely cliché. I'm almost always bored or annoyed with the wacky runaround town films.

fudgetusk 06-30-2018 03:21 AM

That guy from REANIMATOR. Jeffrey Coombs? He was HILARIOUS in it.

idoneus1957 07-03-2018 08:39 AM

like many
 
Like many child stars, Trini Alvaredo wasn't as good as an adult.

I'll bet it was a blast for Dee Wallace to act in, because she must have been sick of always playing good girls.

kerr9000 11-06-2019 03:40 AM

I really really like the film, but im a huge fan of both Fox and Jeffrey Coombs. I wasnt suprised to hear that at one point this was possibly going to be a Tales from the Crypt film, it really feels like one to me.

One of my fave things is the bloopers theres parts where Fox forgets what film he is in and starts shouting ''DOC''

Despite there being some dark dark stuff in it the film feels very very like a introduce the kids to real horror sort of thing.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:04 PM.