Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How about another tournament? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62438)

_____V_____ 01-20-2013 07:08 AM

Working on 2 ideas since yesterday - a shorter one scraping through the bottom of the barrels, and a longer one which involves some more research.

Let's start the shorter one.

_____V_____ 01-21-2013 06:52 AM

Turns out the longer tournament idea has a huge scope to be epic.

I hope you all are a patient bunch, voters. A gigantic tournament is headed your way soon.

hammerfan 01-21-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 943879)
Turns out the longer tournament idea has a huge scope to be epic.

I hope you all are a patient bunch, voters. A gigantic tournament is headed your way soon.

I'm intrigued!

_____V_____ 01-22-2013 04:15 AM

Quick question - if you are listing the characters from a film/series, do you list the creatures/robots/machines in the films under characters as well?

For e.g., for 2001: A Space Odyssey, we have the character David Bowman (and other minor characters). Is HAL 9000 a character too?

hammerfan 01-22-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 943902)
Quick question - if you are listing the characters from a film/series, do you list the creatures/robots/machines in the films under characters as well?

For e.g., for 2001: A Space Odyssey, we have the character David Bowman (and other minor characters). Is HAL 9000 a character too?

If you're asking me, personally, and not as a rule, yes, I would. Not sure what the rule would be.

EDIT: I went to IMDB. Using your example of 2001: A Space Odyssey, they do list the actor that provided the voice for HAL9000.

realdealblues 01-22-2013 04:56 AM

I was actually going to suggest maybe a best "killer" (or in general) Robot/Cyborg/Machine tournament...but perhaps you have something similar/better in mind V :)

Yes, I would definitely consider HAL9000 to be a character.

_____V_____ 01-22-2013 05:13 AM

Thanks, guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 943903)
If you're asking me, personally, and not as a rule, yes, I would. Not sure what the rule would be.

EDIT: I went to IMDB. Using your example of 2001: A Space Odyssey, they do list the actor that provided the voice for HAL9000.

Providing a voice is different, don't you think?

We can judge the performance of an actor, but can we judge the performance of a machine/creature character? What about emotion? Does a machine emote? Does it have "character" to be considered as an actual character?

Quote:

Originally Posted by realdealblues (Post 943906)
I was actually going to suggest maybe a best "killer" (or in general) Robot/Cyborg/Machine tournament...but perhaps you have something similar/better in mind V :)

Yes, I would definitely consider HAL9000 to be a character.

What about Wall-E, then? Would it be a character too, even though it's animated and has someone providing voice for it?

That's a nice idea, realdeal. I am working on something more comprehensive. 25% through the source material and I have 700+ shortlisted candidates! :eek:

hammerfan 01-22-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 943908)
Thanks, guys.

Providing a voice is different, don't you think?

We can judge the performance of an actor, but can we judge the performance of a machine/creature character? What about emotion? Does a machine emote? Does it have "character" to be considered as an actual character?

What about Wall-E, then? Would it be a character too, even though it's animated and has someone providing voice for it?

That's a nice idea, realdeal. I am working on something more comprehensive. 25% through the source material and I have 700+ shortlisted candidates! :eek:

Yes and yes. :D

_____V_____ 01-22-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 943909)
Yes and yes. :D

You just made my job a lot more harder. :D

realdealblues 01-22-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 943908)

Think about the "Short Circuit" movies and Johnny 5. He most certainly showed emotion :) He was "really pissed off" at Oscar after being betrayed in Part 2.

On the reverse side, it made "me" cry as a kid when they killed him even though he was just a machine...