Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chrono's Horror Movie Marathon Week 3: VAMPIRES (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65186)

ChronoGrl 09-25-2014 07:00 PM

Chrono's Horror Movie Marathon Week 3: VAMPIRES

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps938633cf.jpg

All right Girls and Goons... Next week will celebrate ANOTHER iconic monster... One that has come in MANY forms over the years (most recently *ahem* sparkly)... I used to have an utter LOVE for vampires and the tales of Dracula and Vlad the Impaler... But recently I have been interested in different retellings of the tale (Byzantium, for example was epic and excellent)...

My viewing list for next week contains three such movies that stray from the Dracula archetype...

Vampyr (1932) - Thank you to a fb friend for bringing this to my attention - I was originally going to rewatch Nosferatu (which is utterly stunning, creepy, and incredible), but I've decided to go with something I haven't seen before. Viewing time will be Sunday, September 28th at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Interview with the Vampire (1994) - This I have to rewatch. I haven't seen it since I've been in middle school and at the time I was OBSESSED with this movie. I am honestly curious as to how well it aged and if it can still capture me. Viewing time will be Tuesday, September 30th at 7:00 p.m. EST.

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) - This one has been on my radar for a while now; I've heard nothing but good things and I cannot WAIT to see it. Viewing time will be Thursday, October 2nd, at 8:00 p.m.EST (I hope that going back to the 8:00 time still works!)

For those of you who may want to participate remotely - Do you have Skype? It's just a free download away AND will support video and non-video chat. Just a thought to replace meetings.io.

For those of you who can't participate OR would rather watch something else... What's your favorite Vampire movie? What would YOU watch during Vampire week? Can't wait to hear about this topic especially.

newb 09-25-2014 07:57 PM

WTF...no Twilight

This sucks

neverending 09-25-2014 08:06 PM

What? No London After Midnight?

This really really sucks.

roshiq 09-26-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 979308)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps938633cf.jpg

Vampyr (1932) - Thank you to a fb friend for bringing this to my attention - I was originally going to rewatch Nosferatu (which is utterly stunning, creepy, and incredible), but I've decided to go with something I haven't seen before. Viewing time will be Sunday, September 28th at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Interview with the Vampire (1994) - This I have to rewatch. I haven't seen it since I've been in middle school and at the time I was OBSESSED with this movie. I am honestly curious as to how well it aged and if it can still capture me. Viewing time will be Tuesday, September 30th at 7:00 p.m. EST.

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) - This one has been on my radar for a while now; I've heard nothing but good things and I cannot WAIT to see it. Viewing time will be Thursday, October 2nd, at 8:00 p.m.EST (I hope that going back to the 8:00 time still works!)

For those of you who may want to participate remotely - Do you have Skype? It's just a free download away AND will support video and non-video chat. Just a thought to replace meetings.io.

For those of you who can't participate OR would rather watch something else... What's your favorite Vampire movie? What would YOU watch during Vampire week? Can't wait to hear about this topic especially.

This selection actually kinda sucks! Vampyr is a great flick and except that personally I've no interest to revisit or see the other 2 flicks. Seen Interview once and didn't like that much. And I've actually heard nothing but disappointing things about OLLA and particularly after V's recent review I've no interest on it.

Surprised to see you didn't pick LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, Martin, Shadow of the Vampire or Guillermo del Toro's Cronos!!

The Villain 09-26-2014 02:12 AM

Gotta say never seen any of these. I'm surprised you picked Interview though.

hammerfan 09-26-2014 02:43 AM

The only night I'll be able to participate is Thursday, and I'll watch my favorite Hammer Dracula movie, Taste the Blood of Dracula. I won't be able to participate on Sunday (Eagles start at 4:30) or Tuesday.

And, I watched Only Lovers Left Alive not too long ago. Suffered through it is a better description.

ChronoGrl 09-26-2014 03:27 AM

Wow guys.

hammerfan 09-26-2014 03:48 AM

Do you feel ganged up on? I felt it for you!

Straker 09-26-2014 05:38 AM

Vampyr: Absolutely love this movie. Bit slow and not exactly an easy watch, but so much style its well worth a watch. Aesthetically as good as anything.

Interview with the Vampire: I have a bit of a soft spot for the over acted, camp vampire flicks of the 90s. A few great acting performances from Dunst, Rea & Cruise then a few that are just far too cheesy, like Banderas & Pitt.... The whole homoerotic subtext is so pronounced that its laughable at times. A little subtlety might have made the movie a bit less cheesy, but probably not half as entertaining. If you look passed what its lacking though, its actually a really nicely shot gothic/ romantic horror with a decent story... In short, I think its a good flick.

The main reason I wouldn't really recommend it though, is that Bram Stoker's Dracula ('92) does everything a little better. There are some stronger acting performances (Oldman) some more ludicrously hammy acting performances (Reeves) and overall its just a more opulent, camp, visceral and beautifully shot flick. And its got Cary Elwes in it, so what more do you want?

Mostly agree with Roshiq's suggestions too, some great flicks there that play around with a genre that falls into cliché far too often.

metternich1815 09-26-2014 06:09 AM

I am really excited about the Sunday viewing, I have been wanting to see Vampyr for a long while, I actually purchased it a couple of months ago, but did not watch it. From what I have heard, it is an absolute classic and a must-see

As for Interview with the Vampire, I mean I like it, but there are many other vampire films that are so much better. I know that you want to visit it because you were obsessed with it, but maybe you could replace it with one that you have not seen. I mean it's up to you, it's just a suggestion. I do think it is a solid film and I love that alot of the setting is in New Orleans because I love that city (went there for vacation this past July).

As for Only Lovers Left Alive, I have no real opinion of it. The cover makes me think it is not good, but covers can sometimes be misleading (though some of the people here seem to think it is quite dreadful). I will watch it though, if it is kept. Maybe I will like it. You have mentioned that you have heard many good things about it. Strangely, I have heard absolutely nothing about it until now, good or bad.

If you do decide in favor of a replacement or replacements, I would like to second what some of the posters above have said. You should consider adding a Hammer film, Horror of Dracula is really highly reviewed one, which I know you mentioned before wanting to see. That would be a good selection. I know you seen it a long time before, but the original Nosferatu would be another good selection (which I know you originally had). The remake to Nosferatu (1979) would also be an excellent selection. I know you have never seen it and it is quite magnificent, in my opinion. I would also recommend the original Dracula, though I know that is another one you have already seen, though I am sure it has been a while.

Roshiq made some excellent suggestions as well, Martin would probably be really hard to get though.