Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

X¤MurderDoll¤X 09-05-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Faustus (Post 873497)
Who's the author of that? I want to brush up on marketing.

kevin hogan

katdad 09-05-2010 11:08 PM

Starting to re-read what is easily the most horrific novel I've ever read, "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

Not a supernatural story, it deals with a scalphunting expedition in the Old West. As you know, Cormac McCarthy wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road" among others. But "Blood Meridian" is his masterpiece.

I've read horror all my life, the good stuff -- Lovecraft, King, you name it, but this novel actually gave me nightmares. And at times, I simply could not read further and had to put the book down for a while. Honest.

There's an excellent low priced Modern Library edition hardback of "Blood Meridian" now available, but one caution: Do NOT read the preface by critic Harold Bloom! It's an excellent essay but contains too many spoilers, so save it for after you finish the book. Assuming you can finish the book, that is. Many people can't.

katdad 09-13-2010 12:25 AM

Also picked up my copy of "This Immortal" by Roger Zelazny, one of the best SF novels ever. Been several years so I thought I'd read it again, pleased at how interesting is the story line and narrative. Although the book was written over 40 years ago,it's still modern in its tone and very entertaining. A great read.

dkwrtw 09-14-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katdad (Post 873561)
Starting to re-read what is easily the most horrific novel I've ever read, "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

Not a supernatural story, it deals with a scalphunting expedition in the Old West. As you know, Cormac McCarthy wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road" among others. But "Blood Meridian" is his masterpiece.

I've read horror all my life, the good stuff -- Lovecraft, King, you name it, but this novel actually gave me nightmares. And at times, I simply could not read further and had to put the book down for a while. Honest.

There's an excellent low priced Modern Library edition hardback of "Blood Meridian" now available, but one caution: Do NOT read the preface by critic Harold Bloom! It's an excellent essay but contains too many spoilers, so save it for after you finish the book. Assuming you can finish the book, that is. Many people can't.

hmmmm, that sounds interesting, I'll have to pick up a copy.

stuartneild 09-14-2010 08:13 AM

I'm reading Maneater by Guy N Smith. Most of Guy's works are quick, slick reads and from what I've read, this is up there with the best.

Spookhouse 09-20-2010 09:36 AM

I've finished both my previous books and now I'm onto "The Lessons of History" by Will and Ariel Duran and "Weird History 101" by John Richard Stephens who has dedicated this particular book to Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

satansfavoritedog 09-22-2010 01:12 PM

The Lipstick Killerz by Dez Del Rio

www.dezdelrio.com

zwoti 09-22-2010 02:51 PM

the millennium trilogy

elib32 09-23-2010 02:18 AM

just finishe stephen kings dark towers
awesome read

Angra 10-01-2010 09:52 PM

"The Swarm" by Frank Schatzing.

A 1000 pages novel about creatures from the deep of the oceans attacking human kind.

Cool.