Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Blade Runner 2049 - Talk Thread - includes spoilers (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68198)

Sculpt 10-09-2017 04:41 PM

Blade Runner 2049 - Talk Thread - includes spoilers

Mods -- please move this to "Latest Horror Movies" forum. Sorry bout that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshiq (Post 1027949)
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

https://s26.postimg.org/l3d7bbm89/BR_2049.jpg

Though I loved the film but yeah...I can't argue with you or anyone if he/she thinks that the final payoff wasn't much satisfactory enough in compare to its slow burn build up & length of the film. I liked the way the story progressed on Officer K's perspective & all the twists & turns that lead him to that finale and along the way all that nicely captured his inner urge for a family and the choices he made despite what the 'truth' ultimately turned out at the end. His female companion "Joi" was also a clever but moving touch to the story. The confrontation between Niander Wallace (Jared Leto) & Deckard was the most or one of the strongest parts...the way Wallace tried to crush him emotionally & the way Deckard responded (Ford's finest performance in recent years) was quite distressing & compelling at the same time. Though there wasn't any Roy Batty with a touching monologue this time but still overall I found this a pretty good sequel in compare to today's Hollywood standard. Actually we couldn't bargain & get better than this, IMO, a perfect combination of the finest talents of current Hollywood you'll find here in almost every department of the film. Like you said the way Denis Villeneuve & his team kept intact the spirit of the original film, expanded the world beautifully in terms of new characters, a neat story and the overall aesthetic value.

I think it convincingly outshines most other contemporary, so called Sci-Fi masterpieces (i.e. Interstellar or even including his own 2016 film ARRIVAL!).

>>: A

I also liked the way the film used Officer K's (Ryan Gosling) perspective. Was a good device.

A buddy of mine said he liked the narration of the original Blade Runner Theatrical Cut, which provided great tracking using the Film Noir technique, the perspective of the agent (Harrison Ford). I like both cuts, but I agree with him. For enjoyment, a film shouldn't have too light a touch with an existential theme unless the film is saying something new or strongly stating an opinion.

Sculpt 10-09-2017 04:57 PM

So who/what was the 'man' with the shiny eyes, apparently the head of the replicant company? Was he a replicant? What were his goals?

Sculpt 10-09-2017 04:59 PM

The general sci-fi theme, I think, is 'what is it to be human?'

An additional theme is using replicants (biorobotic android) as a symbol for how we treat other humans...

Because seriously, the human race has better things to do than worry about how we might treat AI (artificial intelligence) in the future -- namely how we treat other humans today, which is severely lacking. We don't even know how we'd recognize if the AI was "conscious", as AI techs are simply trying to simulate it... the goal is to fool ourselves into thinking the AI is conscious, when humans are so anthropomorphic to begin with... a notable conflict of interest. Not to mention we haven't really come to a conclusion as to what human consciousness is yet.

Bloof 10-10-2017 05:56 PM

Well I've only heard good things about this movie but the reviewer I was listening to was at a loss as to why it opened poorly here. We had our thanksgiving this weekend and also it's supposed to run at over 2 and a half hours!

Sculpt 10-11-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1027983)
Well I've only heard good things about this movie but the reviewer I was listening to was at a loss as to why it opened poorly here. We had our thanksgiving this weekend and also it's supposed to run at over 2 and a half hours!

I've heard that too, Bloof. But really, it's just "disappointing ticket sales" as opposed to being poor. It was the top grossing film it's opening weekend, and remains one of the top, it's just not a blockbuster.

It's being received like it's predecessor... very cool special effects, but deeply sci-fi and 'reflective'. I'd imagine a ton of folk are expecting a "Star Wars", but both are really highbrow.

roshiq 10-11-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1027964)
So who/what was the 'man' with the shiny eyes, apparently the head of the replicant company? Was he a replicant? What were his goals?

Check out this CBR article.

Btw, have you seen this little prequel shorts for BLADE RUNNER 2049: