Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last Seen Contemporary Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63920)

_____V_____ 05-29-2014 09:39 AM

It's Underworld all over again, but this time the war's between gargoyles and demons. Everyone's favorite monster finds himself bang in the middle of the centuries old feud, just because the demon prince wants his immortality secret to re-animate human corpses as possessed by demons, and the gargoyles will do everything to stop that.

Entertaining for those who like their contemporary horror served to them in dollops of CGI platter, but hardcore fans will be bitterly disappointed. Like the monster, the film simply lacks a soul. I realise the film is based on a graphic novel but bleh...if only they had removed the monster out, maybe the film would have been a bit more bearable.

The slow, lumbering Shelley's creature is no longer hideous and ugly, but now a handsome, muscular, FAST demon hunter, and is named Adam as well!! Aaron Eckhart does his best impersonation, but without the towering presence and the hideous ugliness, simply doesn't convince anyone of being the product of Dr. Frankenstein's experiment. The other cast members (most of them are instantly recognisable from the Underworld series) do their bit, and it was a downer to see the uber-hot Yvonne Strahovski reduced to a lab coat.

If you love CGI eye-wideners, this would be right up your alley. If you have even a little bit of love (and respect) for horror's favorite monster, you will skip this and forget it as an abomination like Van Helsing was.

* ½

Fearonsarms 05-29-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geordie9 (Post 970572)

I absolutely adore this film. Have you seen Stagefright:Aquarius by the same director? It's another one of my faves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 970627)
Thumb resize.

Fantastic! Never seen another film with such relentless energy and pace as this one.

They deviated from the original comic storyline a bit, but that simply didn't matter. McAvoy and Fassbender were fantastic, but the guy who played Quicksilver ran circles around the entire star cast from the moment of his entry. It was heartening to see the original team members back in full force, and to see Iceman finally come into his own.

Such a star-studded action-packed film usually ends up having weaker characters and a thin non-existent storyline, but I must whole-heartedly credit Singer for pulling off a great, great storyline with almost equal weightage to all the characters involved. My favorite Jennifer Lawrence has made Mystique all of her own, and makes you forget Rebecca Romijn's take completely. I am a bit miffed at the makers for cutting out Rogue's scenes - but hopefully they will be added in an extended cut Blu-Ray release.

Enjoyed the heck out of it, and going to rewatch it over the weekend. The best X-Men film yet, even outshines the original!

* * * * ½

Wow I look forward to seeing this when I get the chance.

Geordie9 05-29-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 970661)
I absolutely adore this film. Have you seen Stagefright:Aquarius by the same director? It's another one of my faves

I watched Stagefright Aquarius a couple of months ago, had no idea it was the same director although i did recognize the name. Thanks for that nugget of information, haha. And yes i thought Stagefright was a good film.

Angra 05-29-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 970623)
It's not my first language so please explain.

I'll try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 970453)

I guess you didn't look like your signature pic when you saw it. :D

Baron Von Marlon 05-29-2014 08:20 PM

Wet Hot American Summer(2001)
Starring lots of known actors in their early days.
Movie itself was quite average. It tried to be serious and funny at the same time but it just wasn't working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 970689)
I'll try.

I misread.
This is what I read, hence my confusion.

"I guess you didn't like your signature pic when you saw it."

Geordie9 05-30-2014 01:17 AM

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2d2c2e44.jpg

Drugs & Zombies, cant go wrong!! 8/10

Baron Von Marlon 05-30-2014 06:54 PM

V/H/S (2012)
Had low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised.
Some stories were quite interesting.
But I would have preferred longer stories with a bit more depth.
Overal entertaining enough so I'm gonna watch part 2 soon.

Baron Von Marlon 05-31-2014 08:54 PM

V/H/S 2 (2013)
Less interesting and less clever than part 1. Still worth the watch for the good bits.
There's the main story and 4 tapes.

Main story: meh.
Tape 1: average.
Tape 2: good
Tape 3: good/great
Tape 4: bad and a bit too cheap for this day and age

Didn't have subtitles for the Indonesian bits, don't know if that's normal?

Spoilers/discussion
"-Didn't care much for the first tape. But I'm no fan of that ghost stuff.
-The zombie tape was real fun to watch but the ending was a bit dumb.
-The cult, what the fuck was that?! Pretty brutal and over the top.
-The aliens. What a load of crap that was. Might have been good in the 90's.
"

Mayvock 06-01-2014 01:04 AM

That would have to be The Tunnel (2011) - I didn't expect much when I saw the trailer, but it surprised me in a very good way. Especially considering the fact that the movie had a VERY limited budget.

FryeDwight 06-02-2014 02:53 AM

MAY (2002). Very strange but well done story of a socially withdrawn (and that's putting it mildly) girl trying to find the perfect friend. ***1/2.

ChronoGrl 06-02-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 970815)
V/H/S 2 (2013)
Less interesting and less clever than part 1. Still worth the watch for the good bits.
There's the main story and 4 tapes.

Main story: meh.
Tape 1: average.
Tape 2: good
Tape 3: good/great
Tape 4: bad and a bit too cheap for this day and age

Didn't have subtitles for the Indonesian bits, don't know if that's normal?

Spoilers/discussion
"-Didn't care much for the first tape. But I'm no fan of that ghost stuff.
-The zombie tape was real fun to watch but the ending was a bit dumb.
-The cult, what the fuck was that?! Pretty brutal and over the top.
-The aliens. What a load of crap that was. Might have been good in the 90's.
"

I loved the third tape - I thought that it was brilliant and really captured a creepy, unsettling tone.

It's the same director who did The Raid: Redemption - Fantastic action movie; I definitely recommend that one too.

I don't think there were subtitles because it was "found footage;" they wanted it to seem as though the tape was truly "found" (hope that makes sense)

Baron Von Marlon 06-02-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 970863)
I loved the third tape - I thought that it was brilliant and really captured a creepy, unsettling tone.

It's the same director who did The Raid: Redemption - Fantastic action movie; I definitely recommend that one too.

I don't think there were subtitles because it was "found footage;" they wanted it to seem as though the tape was truly "found" (hope that makes sense)

It was my favorite tape too.
Wouldn't mind seeing the director making a full horror movie.
The Raid is good, I read the sequel's even better.
Just found out a 3rd V/H/S movie is coming. I'm looking forward to it.

Angra 06-02-2014 07:26 PM

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...psccf9322e.jpg

"Barricade" 7/10

A surreal psychological horror flick amongst the New Arrivals on Netflix.

Predictable but pretty good.

Angra 06-03-2014 02:03 AM

"The Happy House" 2/10

One to avoid.

At least it wasn't found footage, but still pretty damn horrible.

bamahorrorfan87 06-03-2014 02:48 AM

Adventures in Babysitting

_____V_____ 06-03-2014 07:07 AM

Amazing, amazing film.

Baron Von Marlon 06-03-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 (Post 970940)

I watch that a month ago for the first time since I was a kid.
Did you recognise Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket as Thor the car mechanic ::big grin::

MichaelMyers 06-03-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 (Post 970940)

Guilty pleasure?

The Bloofer Lady 06-03-2014 05:04 PM

STAN HELSING. 2009

A parody of mainly the movie "Van Helsing", but also a nod to Michael Myers, Pinhead, Freddy Kruger etc.

Its funny, I had a few laughs.

Vodstok 06-03-2014 05:49 PM

VHS and VHS 2. The first one had solid horror, but wayyy too much rape, sexual assault and blatant nudity for nudity's sake. When it becomes a distraction, I get bored with it. However, I thought it delivered great freak outs.

The 2nd did away with the bullshit and got right to the scares. I actually really enjoyed it. The cult story actually reminded me of a short story I once worked on.

ChronoGrl 06-04-2014 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mind hunters (2004)

Incredibly entertaining in a Deep Blue Sea kinda way (thanks, Angra!). It actually had a couple of gruesome little parts too. Perfect Saturday afternoon cheesey horror flick (I mean, with the likes of LL Cool J, Christian Slater, and Johnny Lee Miller, how could this go wrong??)

I don't think in good conscious I can give this a 3/5, but it's pretty damn close.

Angra 06-05-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 971112)
Mind hunters (2004)

Incredibly entertaining in a Deep Blue Sea kinda way (thanks, Angra!). It actually had a couple of gruesome little parts too. Perfect Saturday afternoon cheesey horror flick (I mean, with the likes of LL Cool J, Christian Slater, and Johnny Lee Miller, how could this go wrong??)

I don't think in good conscious I can give this a 3/5, but it's pretty damn close.

Awsome.

You're welcome. :D

roshiq 06-06-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 971112)
Mind hunters (2004)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 971148)
Awsome.

You're welcome. :D

As you guys at last seen & enjoyed it, then I'd like to recommend you SAW...the debut feature of James Wan (the director of Insidious & Conjuring) [::stick out tongue::]

Giganticface 06-07-2014 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshiq (Post 971186)
As you guys at last seen & enjoyed it, then I'd like to recommend you SAW...the debut feature of James Wan (the director of Insidious & Conjuring) [::stick out tongue::]

I've always wanted to see that one. ::wink::

hammerfan 06-07-2014 03:16 AM

Antiviral

Strange little film. Not sure if I like it.

Baron Von Marlon 06-07-2014 06:14 AM

The Lego Movie
Read mixed reviews so I didn't know what to expect.
But it was good/great.
Sweet and creative storyline, fun characters, good voice-casting,...
Looking forward to the sequel as long as the story's good.

The_Return 06-07-2014 07:15 AM

Caught Oculus not too long ago...really liked the set up, and I could watch Karen Gillan all day, but seemed kind of pointless overall. Had some promise but totally fell apart by the end.

The Villain 06-07-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Return (Post 971220)
Caught Oculus not too long ago...really liked the set up, and I could watch Karen Gillan all day, but seemed kind of pointless overall. Had some promise but totally fell apart by the end.

Tried watching that. It had a good premise but a terrible set up and delivery. Couldn't even finish it. It really could've been better

ImmortalSlasher 06-07-2014 04:41 PM

Siren -

This should be a good movie. The premise alone in a modern setting should inspire writers to come up with something good. I like ancient stories and myths of Sirens and other creatures. And I thought there were going to be three Sirens. I think the original myth had three of them. I can't remember. But anyway this movie isn't a good one. They found pretty actresses for the two lead roles. The actress who plays the Siren has an old world exotic look and her performance has a lot of mysterious and beguiling characteristics. The song she sings is beautiful too.

The setting is good. But the male leads are forgettable jerks. For example, when they are stranded what do they decide to do? Start drinking and have fun. Horror movie 101 stuff that doesn't belong in this situation. For some reason I missed, the movie starts out with the lead actress role playing as a low end hitchhiker / street walker type. I don't know why either. It's like they want to foreshadow a twist with her but it's stupid and pointless. It's like they tried to create some kind of tension in the relationship between the two main characters to the point of having the third person be an ex-boyfriend that still wants the lead actress. But it goes no where. It's like the whole movie is a low budget, experiment or something. I didn't see the box art before watching this but I can see how reviewers on IMDB feel mislead too.

I think the whole element of the Siren, with the good casting of the actress could have been so much more. There is a scene near the end that reveals something of the damage she causes. But it's no where near the scope I would imagine. I guess that could have been a budget issue. But if I directed it, if the characters made it to the other side of the island there would have been cliffs and an old temple. Plus ruins of all kinds of different boats. In Siren the reveal is fairly tame.

The Bloofer Lady 06-07-2014 05:31 PM

SLEEPWALKERS 1992

A sweet movie about a boy and his mom.....HAVING SEX!!! There were lots of cats in this movie(adorable), Ferris Bueller's parents, Hellboy and Stephen King in a bit part as a cemetery caretaker.

I can never dislike a movie because one man's junk is another man's treasure (though junk has a different meaning these days...) . But this was alright, I didn't mind it.

roshiq 06-08-2014 01:23 AM

Kill for Me (2013)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...pse3b77398.jpg

Not as bad as it sounds. Yeah...average plot but just thought worth a watch for Katie Cassidy.

>>: C+

The Returned (2013)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psf6cc0745.jpg

>>: B-

Stage Fright (2014)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps4372fc44.jpg

A fairly entertaining musical slasher. Fall bit flat at the final half. That early number...when the kids just arrived at the camp..."I'm gay -- I'm gay but not in that way" was hilarious & the best part of it! Probably going to upload that on youtube soon.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psd204c902.jpg

Entertaining at times & better than the 2nd & 4th part. I think it'd be interesting to see what it'd be like if the lead Jesse tried to become a vigilante with his 'special powers'!

Angra 06-08-2014 01:47 AM

"A Million Ways to Die in the West" 7/10

For me this was on par with "Ted", at least humor wise. The story wasn't as creative tho.

Not a helluva ride but had me laughing from time to time, so can't say i was disappointed.

_____V_____ 06-08-2014 04:56 AM

The film starts off with a full-on, aggressive, nude sex scene. Rather pointless, if it was to highlight the wonders of sex after smoking pot, or it was to show how hooked the female was to drugs. Either way, the truck has the last laugh (literally).

More of the same as parts I & II, with plenty of excessive gory deaths. My gripe - the blonde stunner should have survived. Plenty of eye-rolling moments and some typical insipid acting, except for Kirzinger who pulls off a semi-decent Rusty Nail.

Watch if you have nothing else to see, or if you are a huge fan of trucks, racing cars and gorific deaths. Others can skip it.

* * ½

Angra 06-08-2014 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 971293)

The film starts off with a full-on, aggressive, nude sex scene. Rather pointless, if it was to highlight the wonders of sex after smoking pot, or it was to show how hooked the female was to drugs.

Pointless indeed.

We all know that females in general are hooked to drugs and cocks.

::sad::

_____V_____ 06-08-2014 07:33 AM

Low-budget effort made as a throwback to the golden era films, basically XTRO meets Fire in the Sky meets Body Snatchers. And no, it's not as delicious as the previous line suggests - the acting is bad, the settings limited, and the plot is a complete mish-mash. Some of the fx looks decent but that's the only redeeming part of the film.

Skip.

_____V_____ 06-08-2014 11:03 AM

They should have called it 300: War on the Seas instead. A worthy albeit unnecessary companion piece to the original testosterone-filled saga, this "sequel" is made watch-worthy because of the presence of Eva Green. And of course, the relentless sequences of clashing swords, spears/arrows flying through the air, blood spraying the screen in bucketfuls, and gore aplently.

There's so much clanging of metal that it will leave your ears ringing for days. Be sure to watch a musical or hear some songs after the film is over. And, why do I have the feeling that we will see a part 3 in the future?

BTW, was "fuck" a word back in ancient Greece and Persian times?

Oh, almost forgot. Eva's boobs rule. As does her overpowering sex scene. Again.

The Villain 06-08-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 971298)

Low-budget effort made as a throwback to the golden era films, basically XTRO meets Fire in the Sky meets Body Snatchers. And no, it's not as delicious as the previous line suggests - the acting is bad, the settings limited, and the plot is a complete mish-mash. Some of the fx looks decent but that's the only redeeming part of the film.

Skip.

Yeah i couldn't even finish this one.

hammerfan 06-08-2014 11:25 AM

The Conjuring

Not bad. Spooked me a bit.

Angra 06-08-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 971306)
Yeah i couldn't even finish this one.

I slept through most og it.

Geordie9 06-08-2014 12:35 PM

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2438f996.jpg

Afflicted (2014) 6/10. Decent film but i didnt really like the characters.