Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

sfear 10-04-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimrnemeth (Post 1039793)
Yes. Not only are those covers here, but also many, many never-before-scene sketches and other portraits of our favorite monsters that I've never seen before.

Sounds like $40 well spent.

Creature 10-05-2019 08:36 PM

As of this evening, I've just finished reading, "Five Novellas" by Jeff Strand. It was a number of hours wonderfully spent. The stories are disturbing, quirky, funny, and horrific. Strand is a master of blending these elements together into very entertaining prose.

And before reading that, I read one of the coolest books I've ever laid my hands on -- "Pop the Clutch: Thrilling Tales of Rockabilly, Monsters and Hot Rods". The titles promises a lot, yet it delivers exactly that and more.

FryeDwight 10-05-2019 11:31 PM

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GUILTY PLEASURES-Sam Stall, Lou Harry and Julia Spalding.
Love books like this and check off what pretains to Me. Some of the categories include THE BRADY BUNCH, Pop Tarts. KISS, Harold Robbins, Flintstones Chewable Vitamins, Hamburger Helper, Mr Bubble, Mr T, Howard Stern etc

Creature 10-06-2019 06:13 PM

Just finished up Washington Irving's "Sleepy Hollow", as part of my October reading. I've never read it before and really enjoyed it. The language is flowery and poetic, providing delicious descriptions of autumnal landscapes. The description of Ichabod Crane himself is quite amusing, too.

A frightening tale? Not in the least, but certainly entertaining. And Irving's dry sense of humor is evident throughout.

Fact: Although there is no mention of Halloween in the story whatsoever, it remains popularly conceived as a Halloween tale.

sfear 10-17-2019 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Creature (Post 1039842)
Just finished up Washington Irving's "Sleepy Hollow", as part of my October reading. I've never read it before and really enjoyed it. The language is flowery and poetic, providing delicious descriptions of autumnal landscapes. The description of Ichabod Crane himself is quite amusing, too.

A frightening tale? Not in the least, but certainly entertaining. And Irving's dry sense of humor is evident throughout.

Fact: Although there is no mention of Halloween in the story whatsoever, it remains popularly conceived as a Halloween tale.

Read "Sleepy Hollow" a few years ago for Halloween also. Really enjoyed it. Now am reading this:
Attachment 19590
Enjoyed her biography of H.P. Lovecraft and thought I'd see how she dealt with the master of the master.

FryeDwight 11-04-2019 11:13 PM

LEONARD MALTIN'S MOVIE GUIDE

Angra 11-20-2019 05:12 PM

The Institute by Stephen King. 7/10

It’s basically Shawshank Redemption with all the kids from Kings back catalogue. And he must really hate them.

If anyone has read it, please tell me what the hell happened to Stackhouse at the end.

hammerfan 11-21-2019 03:54 AM

The Leprechaun Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Courtney McMillan

Yep, that's my niece!

FryeDwight 11-24-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1040418)
The Leprechaun Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Courtney McMillan

Yep, that's my niece!

That's pretty neat-You must be quite proud!

THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF AMERICA AT WAR by Kenneth C Davis.

His DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT books are all quite good, especially the ones on The Civil War and Geography.

hammerfan 11-25-2019 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1040435)
That's pretty neat-You must be quite proud!

I'm VERY proud of her! Thanks!