Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror Filmmakers (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How to Make an Indie Horror Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34160)

ad2478 05-28-2008 02:28 AM

How to Make an Indie Horror Movie

OK friends the topic is very simple.Just share the ideas and all the stuff which you know to make aver low budget movie. Ideas related to lighting,makeup, and every othr thing.Please dont mention a good horror script

we all know this point

so come on and share your time, trcks and knowledge

rottenfeeling 06-02-2008 04:28 PM

previsualization is important. you waste as little time and money shooting as possible if you have a good idea of how the film will be edited and what will actually be on screen

Roderick Usher 06-02-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad2478 (Post 701909)
.Please dont mention a good horror script

we all know this point

From the hundreds of low/no-budget horror shorts I've seen, this point hasn't quite sunk in. Seriously. Write, then re-write, then rewrite. And then have a reading with your actors and rewrite it again to accomodate the actor's particular strengths and weaknesses.

I'm rewriting something DAILY right now to keep the actors happy.

But if you want tricks and tips go to www.indymogul.com they have tons of awesome tips and online tutorials for sfx.

ad2478 06-04-2008 05:30 AM

thanks a lot for helping me out..............well sfx dont you think they will need a very hig pc for effects???

The_Return 06-14-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad2478 (Post 703586)
thanks a lot for helping me out..............well sfx dont you think they will need a very hig pc for effects???

Nope - you just need to be creative. Either write around having to use fancy effects (IE - have stuff happen in another room), or just do it on the cheap - karo syrup is a wonderful thing.

Zero 06-15-2008 08:08 AM

rewriting is key - also storyboard your shots and make a tight schedule so that you optimize your shooting time (do NOT shoot linear - this will waste mucho time)

ad2478 06-16-2008 02:23 AM

Thanks a lot...what about things like lighting and makeup?????

any suggestions?????

Abominus 06-20-2008 06:46 AM

On a sort of related note, does anyone have tips on writing convincing dialogue (cough, cough Roderick). I'm working through a project right now and that seems to be the biggest problem for me.

ad2478 06-20-2008 09:31 PM

looks like no one has the answer...........?

Roderick Usher 06-21-2008 01:59 PM

Having an ear for dialogue is a tricky thing.

I approach dialogue like improv acting. I create the characters and know them up and down. I make sure to write up extensive character biographies so that I know each character's favorite food, band, color, etc.

When you know your characters, you simply place them in a situation and allow them to speak through you.

Dialogue needs to sound conversational and natural, so read it aout loud as you write. If you sound clunky reading it, then you know it needs a tweak.