Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Blood and Gore or Supernatural? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54564)

Tebok 03-19-2010 07:27 PM

Blood and Gore or Supernatural?

What kind of horror movies do you prefer the most? Do you like a lot of blood and gore with people being ripped to pieces, slasher films or moves about ghosts and poltergeists?

I like horror movies that make me afraid to sleep in that dark and thats why I prefere movies based on the supernatural. Blood and Gore movies like Saw do not scare me in the least. To me is just a bunch of people being ripped apart and slaughtered... seen plenty of that in war movies.

When I go to bed at night, I have no fear of some insane guy bursting into my house with a chainsaw. I live in a rather safe area so I don't even worry about buglers for that matter.

I believe in ghosts (though I have never had an experiances with one) so movies about the supernatural are what give me the chills.

Elvis_Christ 03-19-2010 08:42 PM

I'm a gore kinda guy myself and find most supernatural stuff with a few notable exceptions boring as fuck.

Saw and all that similar shit is weak I wouldn't call it a "blood & gore" movie at all.

neverending 03-19-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

I don't even worry about buglers for that matter.
One should ALWAYS worry about BUGLERS!

http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/nr/rdonlyres/...n070050012.jpg

fiend_skull 03-19-2010 09:25 PM

I like a mix of the two. When it boils down to it supernatural movies kind of fall apart without at least a little gore. Puppet Master series (1-5, can't stand the rest) and Hellraiser are a good mixture of both for me since the story is original and the death scenes usually can get pretty interesting.

Ferox13 03-20-2010 12:58 AM

I like em all - 1930's creeky house films, HG Lewis offal fests, Rob Zombie Homage parties and long hair japanese ghostie things..

AmericanManiac 03-21-2010 10:39 AM

Blood and gore all the way!

crimson_ghost 03-21-2010 11:30 AM

always depends what kinda mood im in, if im so bored I need something with alot of gore and action!

Scarebaby 03-21-2010 11:52 AM

I agree with OT, except I tend to avoid supernaturally scary movies because they scare me to a point where I can't sleep, sometimes not even with a light on, and they can easily put the fear in me for weeks. Movies like The Grudge, The Ring and The Unborn (wacky looking children who jump at you and scream with huge disproportionate maws) creeped me out immensely, even though I myself can agree that they were rather poorly made films.

I do love me some B&G though. 8)

Empress_Of_Drac 03-22-2010 02:47 AM

I prefer gore...

Gore is the best...hahaha...SAW series, CUBE series...my faves...

Empress_Of_Drac 03-22-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebaby (Post 853816)
I agree with OT, except I tend to avoid supernaturally scary movies because they scare me to a point where I can't sleep, sometimes not even with a light on, and they can easily put the fear in me for weeks. Movies like The Grudge, The Ring and The Unborn (wacky looking children who jump at you and scream with huge disproportionate maws) creeped me out immensely, even though I myself can agree that they were rather poorly made films.

I do love me some B&G though. 8)

hi Scarebaby...we have they same sentiments but the effect on me is rather the opposite. it actually amused me every time i went to the rest room at night and i just automatically imagine a very pale looking girl with long black hair and big scary eyes looking at me from the mirror...hahaha...

Scarebaby 03-22-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress_Of_Drac (Post 853950)
hi Scarebaby...we have they same sentiments but the effect on me is rather the opposite. it actually amused me every time i went to the rest room at night and i just automatically imagine a very pale looking girl with long black hair and big scary eyes looking at me from the mirror...hahaha...

Hi there. ^^ Lucky you, that you can enjoy being frightened! I wish I could too, because then I'd have a blast all the time. -.-
I've always been afraid of the dark and when I was younger (10-13) I was even terrified during day time and couldn't be home alone without freaking out completely. I'm in therapy for it now though, so slowly getting tougher, but I still sleep with a light on or cling to boyfriend after having seen a scary movie.

psycho d 03-23-2010 02:54 AM

If pigeon-holed i would probably go with the supernatural. My favs are actually convoluted and disturbing portrayals of human nature that are still believable and are unraveled in a wickedly artistic manner.
d

Empress_Of_Drac 03-24-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebaby (Post 853956)
Hi there. ^^ Lucky you, that you can enjoy being frightened! I wish I could too, because then I'd have a blast all the time. -.-
I've always been afraid of the dark and when I was younger (10-13) I was even terrified during day time and couldn't be home alone without freaking out completely. I'm in therapy for it now though, so slowly getting tougher, but I still sleep with a light on or cling to boyfriend after having seen a scary movie.

Hmmmn...that's rather serious...I hope you can get over with that...tsk...tsk...it's a good thing though that you're coping with it soundly.

fuglystick 03-24-2010 03:49 PM

Both and either, as long as it's well made. Too many "supernatural" films aren't as scary as they'd like to think they are, and too many "slasher" films think more gore=more scary.

dub2001 04-04-2010 01:28 AM

Supernatural, but not just any supernatural. ghost movies are my fave but I dont believe in them. Anything that deals with demonic entities and possesion, evil is the only thing that still send chills up my spine.
As far as slashers and blood and gore, thats for weenies. Sure Saw makes you kringe just thinking about if that was you sitting there about to have your face slowly ripped apart, but anyone can do it that way. I could go out tonight and chop someone up from the shadows, but when satan himself is standing behind you in those shadows and you know your fucked, thats scary.

GRAND INQUISITOR 04-04-2010 03:18 AM

Demon posssession
Visceral horror

phantomstranger 04-04-2010 11:56 AM

Supernatural

VampiricClown 04-04-2010 12:12 PM

Do not really care. It depends on if the movie is worth a shit.

scarymoviefreak!!! 04-04-2010 09:21 PM

gorey movie's tend to have a boring ending or really bad story line. for example MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN when the guy whacked that meat masher into that womans skull and her eye ball rolled across the train I thought fantastic. this is going to be great but it all went down to these goblin thing living in the subway so that's why I am a fan of supernatural movies

VampiricClown 04-05-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarymoviefreak!!! (Post 855409)
gorey movie's tend to have a boring ending or really bad story line. for example MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN when the guy whacked that meat masher into that womans skull and her eye ball rolled across the train I thought fantastic. this is going to be great but it all went down to these goblin thing living in the subway so that's why I am a fan of supernatural movies

Never read the book, have you?

missmacabre 04-05-2010 08:56 AM

I don't think "scary" is the right descriptor for me when it comes to blood and gore movies. Disturbed is more like it. There's something about French horror films that really make me feel icky, Martyrs and Inside for instance, and Haute Tension before I watched it to death. The first Saw movie made me nervous. Funny Games made me feel slightly sick to my stomach. So I wouldn't say it's the gore alone in my case, but the idea of sadistic people actually existing. These movies are effective while I'm watching them, but don't leave me feeling scared. I'm not likely to be up all night, or afraid to walk through the house in the dark.

Supernatural movies scare the crap out of me. They have to be done well, of course, but I find them more effective. Asian horror is the best. They keep suspence throughout the film, and afterwards I can barely sleep. Old supernatural films are great aswell, like The Changeling.

scarymoviefreak!!! 04-06-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VampiricClown (Post 855448)
Never read the book, have you?

Wait, THERES A BOOK?

lowlife 04-06-2010 03:52 PM

I am look for most raunchy,seediest,sleaziest,savage,blood,gut,whores ,maiming,carnage,in your face,gut punching,mutilations,and fucking sheer brutality in my horrors:):cool::D

Damn Heathen 09-02-2014 02:39 AM

Blood and gore, baby! The problem is that I prefer non-human killers, and too often the gore is the handiwork of some schmo with an axe.

RadioactiveCinemaCult 09-07-2014 11:27 PM

Supernatural/Gore

Tension, suspension. Supernatural?
If you are making gore and violence filled movie, with really, really, REALLY bad story and with other poor elements. It may not work, like you intended to. It really depends and in my opinion, you have to be very talented director/actor/script- or story-writer to make anything work out. Still, these elements will always belong to horror genre.

Also. There is always "mindless" violence, played for fun. Like Bad Taste (1987) or even Braindead (1992) (which are "good" bad movies, mainly because of a talented director). And usually these are much about effects.
There are really good supernatural-themed movies out there (example. Insidious (2010) which was fantastic and even bit creepy, building tension etc.).
It adds mystery and suspension, using dark shadows, occult occasions and bit of haunting feeling down your stomach.

But in the end, I prefer slasher-flick over a ghost-flick. For entertainment purposes, of course.

tfantasy 09-14-2014 09:54 PM

I thought I posted on this one but I guess I didn't.....::confused::

I like both. I have always been down with the gore. I think I really got into it when I started watching zombie movies and Blood Feast. They don't scare me, they're just very entertaining!

Supernatural is amazing if it's done right. I think that this type should have no slashers or gore because it does better without it. The Ring and The Grudge held the creepy affect without any gore.

I think it just depends on what kind of mood your in.......

Solarmist 09-16-2014 01:22 PM

I like a lot of those comedic slaughter-the-teenagers splatterfest movies on Chiller TV, but though not quite horror movies - I really like the more true to life criminally insane types like Silence Of the Lambs, Wolf Creek or Zodiac.

I don't really care for the paranormal, ghosts, demons, zombies or cursed artifact types. I wish there were more (plausible) gruesome serial killer movies, and stories that could really happen.

I'm all in favor of the "based on actual events" types.

horcrux2007 09-16-2014 03:14 PM

Blood and gore is more for the shock value, but the supernatural is what's gonna keep you up at night.

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-16-2014 05:05 PM

Blood and gore most of the time.

Damn Heathen 09-16-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 978155)
Blood and gore is more for the shock value, but the supernatural is what's gonna keep you up at night.

I agree, but the blood and gore better lends itself to the medium of cinema. To see the carnage is more impactful than what the supernatural tale often depicts: people standing around talking about ghosts and waiting to glimpse them.

neilold 09-20-2014 12:39 AM

ood and gore all day. Dislkie supernatural (women's shite paaahhhh) although both are terribly cliche riddled, however, i'm more tolerant of blood and gore cliches than supernatural ones

captainhowdy 11-03-2014 09:03 AM

The Power Of Christ Compels you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tebok (Post 853640)
What kind of horror movies do you prefer the most? Do you like a lot of blood and gore with people being ripped to pieces, slasher films or moves about ghosts and poltergeists?

I like horror movies that make me afraid to sleep in that dark and thats why I prefere movies based on the supernatural. Blood and Gore movies like Saw do not scare me in the least. To me is just a bunch of people being ripped apart and slaughtered... seen plenty of that in war movies.

When I go to bed at night, I have no fear of some insane guy bursting into my house with a chainsaw. I live in a rather safe area so I don't even worry about buglers for that matter.

I believe in ghosts (though I have never had an experiances with one) so movies about the supernatural are what give me the chills.

Hi Tebok,
For me I prefer supernatural or paranormal movies, my all time favourite is "The Exorcist" it's success was based on two strands of belief, the belief in evil, and the belief that evil can be cast out, William Peter Blatty described it as "The Mystery Of Faith" I also enjoyed the Exorcism of Emily Rose, based on the true story of Annaleise Michel, who was thought to be possessed by demons and died during the exorcism ritual, these films deal with a subject matter which is still much debated, the Catholic church are loathe to recognise the possibility that someone could become possessed by another entity, and would sooner accept such a condition as a psychological disorder, however, these films tap into our most primitive fears, the fear of the devil and other dark forces, things which aren't easily explained, and yet appear all too real, I have had encounters with ghosts, I own and use a Ouija board, I am an experienced user, I also read the Tarot, and in doing so have experienced many strange and unexplainable occurences, I have held seances and attracted entities which were mischievous at least, but threatening at other times, where in such a case, I close down the session with the relevant address to the spirit world, it is very interesting but can also be frightening.

horcrux2007 11-03-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhowdy (Post 981884)
Hi Tebok,
For me I prefer supernatural or paranormal movies, my all time favourite is "The Exorcist" it's success was based on two strands of belief, the belief in evil, and the belief that evil can be cast out, William Peter Blatty described it as "The Mystery Of Faith" I also enjoyed the Exorcism of Emily Rose, based on the true story of Annaleise Michel, who was thought to be possessed by demons and died during the exorcism ritual, these films deal with a subject matter which is still much debated, the Catholic church are loathe to recognise the possibility that someone could become possessed by another entity, and would sooner accept such a condition as a psychological disorder, however, these films tap into our most primitive fears, the fear of the devil and other dark forces, things which aren't easily explained, and yet appear all too real, I have had encounters with ghosts, I own and use a Ouija board, I am an experienced user, I also read the Tarot, and in doing so have experienced many strange and unexplainable occurences, I have held seances and attracted entities which were mischievous at least, but threatening at other times, where in such a case, I close down the session with the relevant address to the spirit world, it is very interesting but can also be frightening.

Thanks for the story.

Moviegirl80 12-14-2014 10:28 AM

Blood and Gore

vampyd1977 12-14-2014 11:09 AM

i`d go with suspense/tension movies, though i find movies like paranormal activity dissapointing as the tension always seems to lack a knock out blow.

my favorite genre outside that would be supernatural species movies, vampires and werewolves and the such. vampires being my all time favorites.

Raegan 12-16-2014 11:00 AM

haha I'm a gore whore all the way! Blood and gore wins for me....not a fan of supernatural (or scifi) didn't even give any of the paranormal activity films a glance but that's just me

Sculpt 12-16-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhowdy (Post 981884)
Hi Tebok,

Interesting, what's are the 'relevant addresses' to the spirit world (at the close of a session)? Can you give me an example?

horcrux2007 12-16-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 984060)
Interesting, what's are the 'relevant addresses' to the spirit world (at the close of a session)? Can you give me an example?

666 Styx Ave.

Sculpt 12-16-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 984062)
666 Styx Ave.

Oh, you can't just say, "Peace out!"

Roiffalo 04-21-2015 03:22 PM

I much like this question. Certainly makes me think. I love monster flicks. The effects and stories are such fun, and I love drawing creatures while watching them as they are so inspiring. If ''blood and gore'' is slasher type flicks then I love those too. They're entertaining to watch with their 97% predictable survivor rate. I do collect werewolf everything, so I suppose I'll have to vote supernatural.