Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Horror Sequels Better Than The Original (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61308)

Jigsaw Killer 07-25-2012 03:41 AM

I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

Fearonsarms 07-26-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 929404)
I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

I agree but the reason is that I found what happens to the characters to be more macabre. I still adore the original which is certainly dark and has some very memorable scenes but the second just about beats it.

Jigsaw Killer 07-26-2012 08:17 PM

I agree. And like I said I like how ROTLD2 took place in different setting from the original.

Elvis_Christ 07-26-2012 09:22 PM

Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

donniedarko 07-27-2012 08:50 PM

The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

The Villain 07-28-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 929583)
The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The original is a classic and started a new trend in horror. The 4th one was a joke, an insult to the original. It wasn't scary or funny and the ending wasn't shocking IMO, it was a lame twist more commonly seen in the Scream ripoffs then the actual Scream movies who knew enough to never go overboard with their reveals.

Fearonsarms 07-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 929512)
Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

Jigsaw Killer 07-28-2012 07:34 PM

The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

Elvis_Christ 07-28-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 929636)
Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

So you did. Skimmed it too quickly but I didn't find what happened to them to be very macabre either *sigh*

Fearonsarms 07-29-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 929687)
The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

I 100% agree I don't hate House of 1000 corpses but let's be honest it was a mess despite having some good moments. The Devil's Rejects built on the potential of the first film, broadened it's scope and was a more successful throwback to the grindhouse era.