Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Near Dark (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64155)

Sculpt 01-15-2014 02:21 PM

Near Dark

Just saw Near Dark for the first time. It was a glaring omission for me, as I was a teen in the 80s. It's a vampire film from 87, co-written and directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who's directed films Point Break, Strange Days, Blue Steel, and won Oscar for best director for The Hurtlocker.

(film description below)

I was a little surprised at the allegory used. It's not uncommon, especially for vampire films. A young male, Caleb, is drawn into a somewhat initially shallow relationship with a young woman, Mae, who turns him into a vampire. She wants him to join her small group of ruthless cruel vampires.

(spoilers)

He must have blood to survive, and suffers horribly with the blood hunger. He refuses to kill people, nor join in the brood's cruelty. He survives for awhile drinking blood from the young female vampire, who appears to have genuine feelings for him.

Caleb's father and sister have been devotedly searching for him on the road for days, and eventually runs into the him and brood. The brood wants to kill the father, and the equally cruel child vampire of the brood wants to make Caleb's sister a vampire (was the impression I got). Caleb pleads to let his family go, but they refuse. The sister opens to the door to the morning sunlight, and Caleb & family escape.

Caleb's father gives his son a blood transfusion, and Caleb is completely cured of the vampires. Mae finds Caleb and wants him to rejoin; he refuses. The brood grabs the sister. In the melee Mae joins Caleb and the brood is burned up. Mae gets the family blood transfusion and is also saved from vampires.

Sometimes symbolism and allegories are unintentional, and one can see things that aren't there. But experienced writers, especially screenwriters, study their audience's cultural, mythos and symbolic fondations and use is constantly. The allegories are: the father devotedly searching is the good Shepperd searching for his sheep (God/Christ pursuing relationship with us http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Shepherd); and the father's blood transfusion is, of course, the blood of Christ, God/Christ providing the blood, "this is my blood" Lord's Supper, Christ's saving and transformative power over sin. (There's a million references for that, IE the New Testament, but here's a relevant set on a page I found if interested).

Elvis_Christ 01-15-2014 06:17 PM

I didn't really see a religious theme in this film myself. It's an interesting take on it.

Love this film and must've watched it at least 50 times. Eric Red wrote some great stuff. Near Dark and The Hitcher are two of the best films of the 80s.

Ferox13 01-15-2014 11:52 PM

Ditto - didn't see any religious allegories in this film either.

One of the few films I went to more than once when it first opened in the cinema.

urgeok2 01-16-2014 02:19 AM

i always got a kick out of the Aliens casting crossover

newb 01-16-2014 05:31 AM

Great movie

I also missed the religious themes....but I'm not an overly religious guy anyway.

neverending 01-16-2014 06:10 PM

Well, as the Rock Man in The Point said, you see what you wanna see. I always found the love story a little bit cheesey, but I still love the film for its fresh take on the vampire legend, and you can't beat Lance Henrickson.

Sculpt 01-16-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 963583)
i always got a kick out of the Aliens casting crossover

It's funny, cause that was the first thing I thought of when I saw him. It's Bishop!

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 963616)
Well, as the Rock Man in The Point said, you see what you wanna see. I always found the love story a little bit cheesey, but I still love the film for its fresh take on the vampire legend, and you can't beat Lance Henrickson.

The love story was a bit shallow. The two actors were certainly able to build the relationship, but the writers either didn't write, or they cut out, any decent relationship building scenes.

On the 'see what you want to see'... I'd say sometimes you see what you don't want to see as well (at least I, and people I know do). I'd say you see what you know, what you're aware of.

I've never ever seen a regular blood transfusion cure vampirism. I've seen regular blood extend life of one bitten, or prevent vampirism before it's gone too far (As in 'The Horror of Dracula'). In The Last Man on Earth (1964), Vincent Price's blood had unique anti-bodies (or whatever), he was the only on the Earth, that could cure the vampirism. Whereas Caleb and Mae were just cured with the father's blood, which isn't supposed to be special in any way. I don't know, call me crazy, but I see symbolism there. I'd assume it's intentional, but since I don't see the writers have ever commented on it, who knows if it intentional or unintentional.

urgeok2 01-17-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 963622)
It's funny, cause that was the first thing I thought of when I saw him. It's Bishop!

and Hicks, and Vasquez

Sculpt 01-17-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 963629)
and Hicks, and Vasquez

Ah, I knew that was Hicks, but I didn't notice that was Vasquez. That is quite a high number. I think Bigelow and Cameron were still married at that point. That's probably the connection.

http://rossbirks.files.wordpress.com...k_01.jpg?w=584

NightOfTheLiving_Sam 01-17-2014 11:35 AM

Wow I never heard of this movie before and I love 80's horror movies! This is something I need to watch now, lol! Feel kind of ashamed now cause that's when my love for horror movie starters! Love you're review by the way! <3