Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your Current Top 5 Modern Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245)

Amelie 09-28-2003 02:20 PM

Your Current Top 5 Modern Horror Movies

Off the top of your head, what are your current Top 5 horror movies? In no particular order:

The Shining
Hellraiser 2
Evil Dead 2
The Eye
Silence of the Lambs

What's yours?

avenger00soul 09-28-2003 03:05 PM

Evil Dead II
Phantasm II
Brain Dead (Bill Paxton/Bill Pullman film)
Dawn of the Dead
Any early David Cronenberg film

jennifero4u 09-28-2003 05:41 PM

The Shining
Rose Red
The Ring
Dreamcatcher

dmihatmttl 09-29-2003 02:33 AM

Top 5 Modern

1-) John Carpenter's THE THING
2-) Se7en
3-) THE EXORCIST III: LEGION
4-) THE RING (both versions)
5-) LORD OF ILLUSIONS

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

avenger00soul 09-29-2003 06:09 AM

Thank god someone else enjoyed Lord of Illusions.

dmihatmttl 09-29-2003 11:12 AM

Hell, yeah . . . a vastly underrated movie, IMO. I figured I'd get flamed for listing that one, matter of fact.

Guess I should just wait. It could still happen. ;)

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

Sick_As_Fuck 10-04-2003 04:51 AM

1. Freddy Versus Jason

The rest are in no order.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original), Night Of The Living Dead(remake), Scream, and Halloween 5: Curse of Michael Myers.

avenger00soul 10-04-2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
1. Freddy Versus Jason

The rest are in no order.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original), Night Of The Living Dead(remake), Scream, and Halloween 5: Curse of Michael Myers.

Halloween 6 was The Curse of Michael Myers. 5 was the Revenge of Michael Myers.

Killer Clown#1 10-04-2003 05:39 PM

Freddy vs Jason

The Thing

Pumkinhead

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Dog Soldiers
(in no paticular order)

evil fred 30 10-04-2003 07:29 PM

1-THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
2-JAWS
3-FRIGHT NIGHT
4-EVIL DEAD
5-POLTERGEIST

Deadbodyman 10-04-2003 08:05 PM

top 5 in no order:

Halloween
The Ring
Freddy Vs. Jason
Evil Dead
Candyman

AUSTIN316426808 10-05-2003 07:50 AM

THEY AREN'T IN ANY PATICULAR ORDER.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
HALLOWEEN
HALLOWEEN 2
BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
FREDDY VS. JASON

I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING ''BLAIR WITCH PROJECT WASN'T REALLY A MOVIE'' AND YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT AS A MATTER OF FACT I AGREE WITH YOU,BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS IT WAS SCARY AS HELL.

WHY DON'T I GO AHEAD AND PUT THE 5 WORST WHILE I'M AT IT.

1.HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES
THE REST ARE IN NO PATICULAR ORDER

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE-NEXT GENERATION,LORD OF ILLUSIONS,BLAIR WITCH PROJECT PART 2,HALLOWEEN 3

mongoed 10-05-2003 01:20 PM

1) Hellraiser 3
2) Black Sunday ( a classic!!)
3) Nightbreed (Cronenberg as the villian)
4)Frightnight (I know... popular schlock)
5)Trilogy of Terror (Karen Black at the end-"Come in mother" as she repeatedly stabs the floor with a butcher knife!!!!)

I know it's a strange list...what the heck.

Ritualistic 10-05-2003 01:54 PM

in no particular order:

Eaten Alive
Black Christmas
Nekromantik
City of the Living Dead
Friday the 13th III

and many many more

Sick_As_Fuck 10-05-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by avenger00soul
Halloween 6 was The Curse of Michael Myers. 5 was the Revenge of Michael Myers.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Damn, now that means there's 2 Halloween movies I've never seen(4 and 5). I've never seen 3 either, but fuck that movie. I never ever wanna see it.

Vampyra 10-05-2003 05:39 PM

Phantasm 1&2
Halloween 1,4,5,6
Hell High
Hell Night
967-Evil

nightbreed 10-06-2003 07:20 PM

it more than 5 but get over it

hmmm ok currently

event horizon
predator
texas chainsaw massacre
nightbreed
night of the living dead 90
the thing
devils advocate
day of the dead
night of the demons 2
evil dead 2

JasonZslayer 10-08-2003 05:59 PM

1Friday the 13th series

2childs play series

3nightmare on elm street series

4holloween series

5 Texas chainsaw massacer

thehalk 10-09-2003 04:48 PM

yo

No Order
Friday the 13th all
Halloween all exept 3
Texas Chainsaw Massacer all
Nightmare On Elm Street all

Tony 10-09-2003 05:25 PM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Friday the 13th part 7

Near Dark

Halloween 6

roguesblight 10-13-2003 02:08 AM

Quote:

5)Trilogy of Terror (Karen Black at the end-"Come in mother" as she repeatedly stabs the floor with a butcher knife!!!!)
That story in that movie scared the hell out of me for many nights! so that can be in my list.

The Ring (not too scary tho)
The Thirteenth Ghost
Grizzly (when I saw this at a young age, we were at a drive-in surrounded by woods and sitting out the back window of an old station wagon during a late night showing)
Jaws
Trilogy of Terror (especially the story with the tribal doll)

these aren't really in any order, and they aren't, by far, the only ones I consider my favorites!

knee jerk 10-18-2003 03:22 AM

"The Town that Dread Sundown" is the bane of my existence. I can relate to roguesblight because I saw this film at a drive-in in Missouri when I was a little kid. I was scared so bad we had to leave and go home. To this day I don't understand what my parents were thinking by taking us to see this horrible thing.
I still haven't tried to watch it again.

Other top scarey movies:

>Jaws
>The Exorcist
>The Ring (say what you will, I didn't sleep at night for 3 days...kept seeing that creepy-ass girl coming down my hallway as soon as the lights went out)
>Deliverance
>The Hills Have Eyes
>the chainsaw scene from Scarface....one of the nastiest things I've ever seen

CrystalLake 10-18-2003 12:25 PM

Aw..No listen similiar to mine.

1.) Friday the 13th
2.) HalloweeN 666: The Curse of Michael Myers
3.) The Exorcist
4.) Freddy vs. Jason
5.) Psycho

ShamSham04 10-18-2003 01:03 PM

--My Top Ten--

- Friday The 13th
- The Exorcist
- Child's Play
- Halloween
- A Nightmare On Elm Street
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Freddy Vs. Jason
- Creepshow
- The Evil Dead
- Wrong Turn

Ritualistic 10-18-2003 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by knee jerk
"The Town that Dread Sundown" is the bane of my existence. I can relate to roguesblight because I saw this film at a drive-in in Missouri when I was a little kid. I was scared so bad we had to leave and go home. To this day I don't understand what my parents were thinking by taking us to see this horrible thing.
I still haven't tried to watch it again.

I have this movie.. I love this movie.. I have the original poster for it as well.. very cool..

roguesblight 10-19-2003 12:53 AM

Is that the one that's based on a true event, about a serial killer, killing in a town back in say the early 60's, that they never caught? if not give me a quick descrip so I can place it, I just know I saw it but can't place it if that's not it.

roguesblight 10-19-2003 12:58 AM

oh, I remember one that scare the p*ss out of me! The Boogens-or it may have been The Boogins--about these creatures that have like long tenticals with claws on the ends, and they lived underground and came up in your basement, crawlspace, etc......
and another movie that was freaky and had the same actress from boogins was Silent Scream! both came out around the same year, and it was like late 70s or early 80s! Pretty scary at the time!

knee jerk 10-19-2003 01:50 AM

I remember very little about "The Town that Dread Sundown." I'm serious about this movie, I was crying/screaming out loud as my dad drove us away from the drive-in movie. I was maybe 5 yrs old. Apparently, we'd go just about every Saturday night and it didn't matter what we saw, it was just something to do that was cheap.
Anyhows, yeah...I think its based on a true story from like the early 50's or something. All I remember is the killer wore a dusty-grey suit and like a white pillowcase on his head. At one point he attacked this kid and his girlfriend as they drove away from a high school dance or something. He beat the boy nearly to death with his bare hands then roped the girl to a tree and stabbed her to death with a knife that was tied to a trombone. It sounds stupid now but it was really twisted and that was the last thing I remember seeing before I totally lost it.

unbroken 10-19-2003 04:37 AM

cannibal holocaust
pieces
devil's rain
may - not really a horror film but it scared the shit out of me
black christmas
take it easy
charlie

Ritualistic 10-19-2003 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by roguesblight
Is that the one that's based on a true event, about a serial killer, killing in a town back in say the early 60's, that they never caught? if not give me a quick descrip so I can place it, I just know I saw it but can't place it if that's not it.
yeah it was based on a killer in Texarcana ARK that was never caught.. He terrorized this town for months in the summer and killed a lot of people.. Very cool movie..

massacre man 10-19-2003 08:06 AM

5.wrong turn
4.freddy vs jason
3.(tie) friday the 13th 7 and halloween 2
2.nightmare on elm street

halloween

WalkingDead 10-19-2003 10:43 AM

Evil Dead
Day of the Dead
Friday the 13th
Dawn of the dead
The Texas Chainsaw Masscare (remake)

roguesblight 10-19-2003 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ritualistic
yeah it was based on a killer in Texarcana ARK that was never caught.. He terrorized this town for months in the summer and killed a lot of people.. Very cool movie..
judging by what you both described it sounds like the one i remember. My mom rented that when I was younger and VCRs were the new in thing. It was a pretty creepy movie. Especially back then and knowing that they never caught the guy.

_Leatha_Face_ 10-20-2003 05:15 AM

NO ORDER ROSE RED, DUSK TILL DAWN, H6 CURSE OF M.M., EXORCIST, AND FREDDY vs JASON, BUT IM SURE WHEN I C THE NEW TCM IT WILL BUMP ONE OF THESE MOVIES OFF MY LIST :)

Vampyra 10-20-2003 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by unbroken
cannibal holocaust
pieces
devil's rain
may - not really a horror film but it scared the shit out of me
black christmas
take it easy
charlie

What is May about? I never heard of it before.

avenger00soul 10-20-2003 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vampyra
What is May about? I never heard of it before.
May is a horror film (I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to not label it horror) in which an oddball girl is looking for love and friendship. However, when she is unsuccessful at doing this the old fashioned way, she sets out to MAKE a friend. It's one of the best horror flicks I've seen in a while. Quite a breath of fresh air.

roguesblight 10-21-2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by avenger00soul
May is a horror film (I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to not label it horror) in which an oddball girl is looking for love and friendship. However, when she is unsuccessful at doing this the old fashioned way, she sets out to MAKE a friend. It's one of the best horror flicks I've seen in a while. Quite a breath of fresh air.
would that be rentable? I haven't seen it either, and a comment like that coming from someone who's seen a lot of horror fliks, I think that means I wouldn't mind seeing it either.

avenger00soul 10-21-2003 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by roguesblight
would that be rentable? I haven't seen it either, and a comment like that coming from someone who's seen a lot of horror fliks, I think that means I wouldn't mind seeing it either.
Yeah, it's rentable. Blockbuster should have it. It takes a while for the movie to get going and the horror to build up. That's not a bad thing though, it gives it an old school vibe.

roguesblight 10-21-2003 05:36 PM

well i'll make sure i stick with it then. and the old school feel is fine, as long as i know the movie is worth it in the long run.

meetthecreeper 10-23-2003 05:59 PM

The exorcist-saw this when I was a child-not a good idea
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nightmare on Elm Street

Jaws-I have to add-Mom took me to see this when I was 8 years old at the theater, she kept covering my eyes during the bloody parts. She didnt do a very good job, curiousity kept moving her hand in the way. I am probably the only person who lived in San Diego that NEVER went in the ocean. After that movie I wouldnt say that I was traumatized or anything but Mom bought me a lot of books about sharks and shark attacks. I gained a lot of knowledge about the animal, so much that I used to be scared that they were under my bed. Believe that, scared of SHARKS under my bed. I still will not go into the ocean ever. Probably the only thing in life that really terrifies me.