Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Walking Dead (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19380)

noctuary 12-18-2005 05:35 AM

The Walking Dead

A friend of mine just turned me on to this amazing zombie comic, so I wanted to see if anyone else here had read it. It's a zombie/apocalypse story very much in the vein of Romero's zombie films, centered around the adventures of an cop named Rick as he tries to protect his family and make his way in the new world. Stark yet beautiful black and white art, gloomy atmosphere, lots of tension and more than a little gore make this a comic to watch out for. If you haven't read it yet, check it out!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm pimping this... 'cause I'm not. I just wanted to share a kick-ass comic with anyone who may be interested.

RavageRitual 12-18-2005 06:32 AM

Thanks, Ill check it out.

Zero 12-18-2005 12:01 PM

Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:

Originally posted by noctuary
A friend of mine just turned me on to this amazing zombie comic, so I wanted to see if anyone else here had read it. It's a zombie/apocalypse story very much in the vein of Romero's zombie films, centered around the adventures of an cop named Rick as he tries to protect his family and make his way in the new world. Stark yet beautiful black and white art, gloomy atmosphere, lots of tension and more than a little gore make this a comic to watch out for. If you haven't read it yet, check it out!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm pimping this... 'cause I'm not. I just wanted to share a kick-ass comic with anyone who may be interested.

sounds cool - i remember a good zombie comic by Dark Horse, but can't remember the title - something like Dead Planet or something. . but this sounds cool

cheebacheeba 12-24-2005 11:45 AM

I've read all up to the most recent issue.
Pure excellence...I consider this the definative zombie holocaust comic experience, plays out like a film, with real, fleshed out characters that go through all kinds of crazy just to survive...very character based - in some issues, there aren't even any zombies, which I think works brilliantly to establish a better storyline, each character confronting both the light, and darkness within themselves in their crazy world. Very nice art, Great sombre feel to the whole thing...I don't know what more to say...read it, it's fucking awesome.

The writer, ROBERT KIRKMAN is fast becoming one of my favourites.
He also does some excellent work on a superhero "kinda" title called "Invincible" (Also from Image), in the same universe as his newer title "capes"...both are VERY funny, and are an brilliant mixture of comedy and action.
These are only two more among many things he's worked on...I think he's comparable to Kevin Smith in terms of dialogue, and attention to storyline development and detail. Not to mention, the guy's a hardcore zombie fan to boot - this much is evident the moment you pick up the walking dead #1.

I'd suggest both the series, and the writer to anyone.

mothermold 01-14-2006 12:39 AM

is this an Image title?is there a graphic novel?

cheebacheeba 01-14-2006 01:09 AM

Yes it's image, and yes, there's a few trade paperbacks out.

mothermold 01-14-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Yes it's image, and yes, there's a few trade paperbacks out.
thanx.

DarkwingMantis 01-21-2006 03:38 PM

Finally got to read the 3rd TPB. The comic shops in my area dont carry them and I dont get a chance to get to Indy to often. But MAN OH MAN!!! i love that they are more character oriented than just gore. This title will last ..... I Hope

lovecraft 02-06-2006 05:23 PM

The W alking Dead

This is a good book to pick up. I don't buy the monthlies, I wait for the trade to come out.
The zombies sometimes take a back seat to the characters, which is fine, but when the zombies come to the forefront, I have to say it is pretty tense.

Also, a writer by the name of Warren Ellis just came out with a comic called BlackGas. It seems to be a sort of zombie comic. It is a little early to tell but it has potential.

Zero 02-11-2006 07:16 AM

does anyone remember the name of the darkhorse miniseries about zombies returning?

i remember it started with a semi-cheezy adventure story (a la Hellboy) of an old professor and his assistants fighting some demonic force and then in the end we find out they failed (which was a pretty cool moment) and that the curse was fulfilled and the dead were rising - then there were a series of short one-issue or mini-series books from various writers about living in a world of the undead. . . help?