Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New kid on the block (Layers of Fear) (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66687)

Psxpetey 12-18-2015 04:52 PM

New kid on the block (Layers of Fear)

I perused this section looking at the different horror games, a lot of them were not even really horror games at all! Me myself I am a classic horror fan. Most modern horror films/games are half assed repros with predictable plots an easy to predict scares. I am almost never scared by a horror movie and rarely by a game. Then I happened upon Layers of fear which has a 97.7 on steam.....a 97.7!!!!! Its just the early access! TALK ABOUT A HIGH SCORE! anyways I bought the game for 13.50 and at the very start I was impressed as the game is stunningly beautiful looking not to mention the Paintings and beautiful piano music give it a creepy emotional feel. It doe not appear I can post pictures in this forum so here is a link to a playlist of the game on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgw...nnel=Electrics

This is the full playlist 8 videos in total around 20 mins The game does not have an ending yet. It is also coming to xbox one and PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway back to explanation When I first started playing the game I got a feeling of unease, and some very tiny jump-scares the piano shuts by itself different tiny things, as you progress they get worse but usually its just something random like books or a wheelchair that scare you until you meet the crying Lady. Well meeting her is a bit of an understatement but you'll see what I mean if you watch the videos. To me this is what horror games are and horror movies they slowly build a feeling of unease which eventually turns into dread and then terror. Not these action packed shooters with some semi creepy characters. Maybe I am just pretentious or something but I love the classics even a good horror book can get me.

Synopsis: Layers of Fear is a psychedelic horror where you take control over an insane painter in his quest to finish his magnum opus. Heavily inspired by the masterpiece paintings from the past centuries, and the architecture and d�cor from the XIX century.

During the game you find out that your wife was burned very badly and you consider her to look like a monster, You hurt her at some point also and then she dies (you may have killed her) Your daughter becomes seriously disturbed and creates some really crazy desperate and depressing art usually involving her staring blankly into the distance by herself at her mothers grave.

summing up: the game is sad, creepy, jumpscary, beautiful and will scare the pants off you I give it a 100/10 BUY THIS GAME! If your curious if you will like it watch the supplied playlist.

so guys whatya think?

Psxpetey 12-20-2015 11:31 AM

Good amirite?

Angra 12-20-2015 08:54 PM

Yes, the game looks great.

Here's the thing for me tho. As you mention yourself Layers of Fear seems to consist of nice graphis, heavy atmosphere and jumps scares. You talking loud through the entire walkthrough might work for most, more action based, games. In this game however it takes away half the viewing experience, leaving me pretty much only the nice graphics.

For my part i quickly started looking for another walkthrough of the Demo without commentaries and watched that instead.

But thank you for the heads up, Psxpetey. I'm definitely getting it when it shows up on PS4. ::smile::

Psxpetey 12-23-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1007969)
Yes, the game looks great.

Here's the thing for me tho. As you mention yourself Layers of Fear seems to consist of nice graphis, heavy atmosphere and jumps scares. You talking loud through the entire walkthrough might work for most, more action based, games. In this game however it takes away half the viewing experience, leaving me pretty much only the nice graphics.

For my part i quickly started looking for another walkthrough of the Demo without commentaries and watched that instead.

But thank you for the heads up, Psxpetey. I'm definitely getting it when it shows up on PS4. ::smile::

Those are pretty much the nature of games with commentaries man. If I do not talk during the game it's really not a commentary. As you say it's really not a walk-through man. It's my experience with the game. In this game there really is not a lot of sound there is the occasional piano solo but other than that nothing except the JUMPSCARE sounds.

It is a shame you disliked my commentary and found it annoying but hey its not for everyone.

You definitely will not be disappointed with the game man!! I really want it on xbox one when the full version releases.

Angra 12-23-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psxpetey (Post 1008071)
Those are pretty much the nature of games with commentaries man. If I do not talk during the game it's really not a commentary. As you say it's really not a walk-through man. It's my experience with the game. In this game there really is not a lot of sound there is the occasional piano solo but other than that nothing except the JUMPSCARE sounds.

It is a shame you disliked my commentary and found it annoying but hey its not for everyone.

You definitely will not be disappointed with the game man!! I really want it on xbox one when the full version releases.

I'm not blaming your style or the way you make your videoes. I'm just saying that, to me, THIS particular game plays better without any commentaries, that being yours or anybody else's.

Psxpetey 12-25-2015 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1008078)
I'm not blaming your style or the way you make your videoes. I'm just saying that, to me, THIS particular game plays better without any commentaries, that being yours or anybody else's.

No biggie man! Very nice of you too say!