Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Movies with children's Deaths (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66286)

Elijah23256 09-07-2015 02:59 PM

Movies with children's Deaths

*SPOILER ALERT*
So I recently rewatched one of my favorite horror movies Pet Semetary. and in the film gage is brutally killed by a semi truck and it got me thinking about the fact that Kids are hardly ever killed in movies. In the Book Cujo the poor kid dies but in the movie they cut it out. In my opinion they shouldn't not kill the kids in the movie because thats not how life really is. Also it would make the movie more realistic. which is what we strive for anyway right? I would love to hear your opinions on this subject.::devil::

Roiffalo 09-07-2015 10:04 PM

It really depends on how you feel about the characters and story. Or at least for me it does. I can name a number of films that involved kids acting like arrogant little fuckers that I wish would've met a grizzly end but didn't.

Story wise it's a powerful tool for setting a dramatic scene. A pin could drop and set people off from the tension of a child's death. Or in the case of Freddy from NOES, the difference between the rumors of Freddy just raping the children to full on killing him changes the character DRAMATICALLY. Rape would've been unforgivable enough on its own, but actually killing them makes the character soulless and the most dangerous kind of person most people can ever imagine. For who would end the life of something that embodies innocence like a child?

In short I don't entirely mind child death. As long as it enriches the story. It is a risky and bold move though.

neilold 09-08-2015 02:04 AM

you wanna see baby menaness, watch feast 2!

neilold 09-08-2015 01:30 PM

Think most writers avoi it be a se they think it's going 'too far', dont think I've ever seen a baby being killed in close up, certainly not in any real detail. I also imagine the censorship board would look at it very gravely.

Elijah23256 09-08-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roiffalo (Post 1000182)
It really depends on how you feel about the characters and story. Or at least for me it does. I can name a number of films that involved kids acting like arrogant little fuckers that I wish would've met a grizzly end but didn't.

Story wise it's a powerful tool for setting a dramatic scene. A pin could drop and set people off from the tension of a child's death. Or in the case of Freddy from NOES, the difference between the rumors of Freddy just raping the children to full on killing him changes the character DRAMATICALLY. Rape would've been unforgivable enough on its own, but actually killing them makes the character soulless and the most dangerous kind of person most people can ever imagine. For who would end the life of something that embodies innocence like a child?

In short I don't entirely mind child death. As long as it enriches the story. It is a risky and bold move though.

I agree but what I have noticed in movies that they will mention a child's death but they will never show it and i feel like the film would have a much greater impact if we saw the kids death. and the scene would be memorable as well. Look at a Serbian Film although the movie is disgusting and sick, everyone remember the baby rape scene because it evolves a child

Elijah23256 09-08-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilold (Post 1000189)
you wanna see baby menaness, watch feast 2!

I have seen feast and i have to say I enjoyed it alot but I haven't seen feast 2.

TheBossInTheWall 09-08-2015 03:33 PM

Check out Wer. Its not exactly what you're looking for, but close.

TheBossInTheWall 09-08-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah23256 (Post 1000225)
I have seen feast and i have to say I enjoyed it alot but I haven't seen feast 2.

I asked about that in this forum. I was told Feast 2 and 3 get progressively worse, but are still enjoyable.

Roiffalo 09-08-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah23256 (Post 1000224)
I agree but what I have noticed in movies that they will mention a child's death but they will never show it and i feel like the film would have a much greater impact if we saw the kids death. and the scene would be memorable as well. Look at a Serbian Film although the movie is disgusting and sick, everyone remember the baby rape scene because it evolves a child

True. The closest we ever seem to get to a child death is slasher films where teenage kids played by actors in their thirties are slaughtered. It's hardly satisfying. Especially when most are sick, annoying little freaks just asking for it.

Elijah23256 09-08-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roiffalo (Post 1000233)
True. The closest we ever seem to get to a child death is slasher films where teenage kids played by actors in their thirties are slaughtered. It's hardly satisfying. Especially when most are sick, annoying little freaks just asking for it.

I agree now there are some kids such as gage from pet semetary which i wish wasn't killed