Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (http://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (http://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Nosferatu The Vampyre (http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68713)

LuvablePsycho 10-13-2018 01:21 PM

Nosferatu The Vampyre
 
https://youtu.be/E9m9tvEbVXs

This looks like an old remake of the black and white silent horror movie Nosferatu.

I've never watched it before but that soundtrack alone gives me goosebumps. I think it's kind of funny though how that trailer is spoiling the ending of the movie with the tragic fate of Hutter's wife Ellen. ::big grin::

Sculpt 10-13-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034118)
https://youtu.be/E9m9tvEbVXs

This looks like an old remake of the black and white silent horror movie Nosferatu.

I've never watched it before but that soundtrack alone gives me goosebumps. I think it's kind of funny though how that trailer is spoiling the ending of the movie with the tragic fate of Hutter's wife Ellen. ::big grin::

Did you watch the film yet?

I just saw this for the first time about 6 months ago.

LuvablePsycho 10-13-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034131)
Did you watch the film yet?

I just saw this for the first time about 6 months ago.

Nope not yet but I hope I can get the chance someday.

It looks good!

Sculpt 10-14-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034118)
https://youtu.be/E9m9tvEbVXs

This looks like an old remake of the black and white silent horror movie Nosferatu.

I've never watched it before but that soundtrack alone gives me goosebumps. I think it's kind of funny though how that trailer is spoiling the ending of the movie with the tragic fate of Hutter's wife Ellen. ::big grin::

It is a re-imaging of Nosferatu. Follows fairly close. It has much more character drama than the silent original, as one might expect. It's interesting.

There is an English version (the actors spoke English, not a dub), and one German (with English subtitles). I'm not enough of a snob to recommend one over the other. I watched the English version, of course, and won't be watching the other.

That trailer... Sure does spin, eh?

I wouldn't assume too much about Ellen's fate from this trailer. That's because there's no Ellen in the film, so she's OK. But I wouldn't assume too much about Harker's wife Lucy's fate from the trailer either. It may look like she's bit, but not everyone bit by a vampire dies. ::wink::

There's big fans of this film. I enjoyed it, and I like arthouse or avant garde, but I can't say I loved it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034134)
Nope not yet but I hope I can get the chance someday.

It looks good!

Someday? Dude, you live in America. You can see anytime you want. You can watch it on Youtube for $3.99.

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 03:34 PM

Wait I'm confused...

Harker's wife's name was Nina (in the novel Dracula) and in Nosferatu her name was changed to Ellen (just like Harker became Hutter and Count Dracula became Count Orlock). Lucy in the novel Dracula was a friend of Nina's whom Dracula turned into a vampire but I think in Nosferatu she had a very minor role as either the wife or sister of Hutter's friend who looked after Ellen while he was away in Transylvania.

I guess you're saying there's more character depth in this remake which sounds awesome to me. ::big grin::

BIG SPOILERS

And in the silent movie version of Nosferatu I liked Ellen because she was such a pure hearted character who cried when Hutter picked her a bouquet of flowers to cheer her up without realizing that he "killed the beautiful flowers".

Also unlike Dracula where Harker was the hero and Nina was the damsel, in Nosferatu it was Ellen who saved her husband Hutter by offering herself to Count Orlock and letting him get destroyed by the sunlight. In fact she pretty much saved the whole town from the death plague he brought over with her own life.

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034160)


Someday? Dude, you live in America. You can see anytime you want. You can watch it on Youtube for $3.99.

I'm not exactly in control of my own money. Plus I'm broke. ::big grin::

Sculpt 10-14-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034162)
Wait I'm confused...

Harker's wife's name was Nina (in the novel Dracula) and in Nosferatu her name was changed to Ellen (just like Harker became Hutter and Count Dracula became Count Orlock). Lucy in the novel Dracula was a friend of Nina's whom Dracula turned into a vampire but I think in Nosferatu she had a very minor role as either the wife or sister of Hutter's friend who looked after Ellen while he was away in Transylvania.

I guess you're saying there's more character depth in this remake which sounds awesome to me. ::big grin::

And in the silent movie version of Nosferatu I liked Ellen because she was such a pure hearted character who cried when Hutter picked her a bouquet of flowers to cheer her up without realizing that he "killed the beautiful flowers".

Also unlike Dracula where Harker was the hero and Nina was the damsel, in Nosferatu it was Ellen who saved her husband Hutter by offering herself to Count Orlock and letting him get destroyed by the sunlight. In fact she pretty much saved the whole town from the death plague he brought over with her own life.

Yes, you are right on all accounts! But in this 1979 film they change some names, just like the makers of the 1922 film (who were trying to avoid being hit by a copyright infringement, and failed).
Quote:

The makers of the earlier film could not obtain the rights for a film adaptation of Dracula, so they changed a number of minor details and character names in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid copyright infringement on the intellectual property owned (at the time) by Stoker's widow. A lawsuit was filed, resulting in an order for the destruction of all prints of the film. Some prints survived, and were restored after Florence Stoker had died and the copyright had expired.[8] By the 1960s and early 1970s, the original silent returned and was enjoyed by a new generation of moviegoers.[citation needed]
Not sure why Herzog changed the name of Harker's wife to Lucy, but he did. Weird, huh?

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034165)
Yes, you are right on all accounts! But in this 1979 film they change some names, just like the makers of the 1922 film (who were trying to avoid being hit by a copyright infringement, and failed).


Not sure why Herzog changed the name of Harker's wife to Lucy, but he did. Weird, huh?

Lol yeah. ::big grin:: I guess maybe because both women were being stalked by Dracula in the book? He wanted to feed off of both of them and then turn them into vampires just like the "Brides of Dracula" who lived in his castle.

Sculpt 10-14-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034167)
Lol yeah. ::big grin:: I guess maybe because both women were being stalked by Dracula in the book? He wanted to feed off of both of them and then turn them into vampires just like the "Brides of Dracula" who lived in his castle.

LOL! Yeah, might as well call her Minellelucy! She's every woman in the world.

In the 1932 Dracula film, I wonder if the vamp chicks were just his feral sisters?

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034168)
LOL! Yeah, might as well call her Minellelucy! She's every woman in the world.

In the 1932 Dracula film, I wonder if the vamp chicks were just his feral sisters?

Oh wait her name was Mina not Nina lol my bad. ::big grin::

I always wondered why Dracula only chose to turn women into vampires? He must have been a real pimp. ::big grin::

In fact I think the term "Brides of Dracula" was only invented by the 1932 movie because in the book they didn't have any names and their relationship with Count Dracula was never made clear. They were just female vamps who lived in his castle and were most likely transformed by Dracula in the same manner Lucy was.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:56 PM.