Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Upcoming Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Tall Man (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62250)

Zero 11-29-2012 04:19 PM

The Tall Man

anyone else seen this? Not exactly frightening but really interesting and well acted. I think it raised some difficult ethical questions at the end (although it became a bit more allegory than scary near the end).

Thoughts?

newb 11-30-2012 01:24 PM

It's on netflix instant

thought I might watch it

Ferox13 12-01-2012 02:18 AM

I was pretty disappointed in it to be honest. I liked Martyrs a lot more.

Dready 12-01-2012 10:59 AM

I thought The Tall Man was pretty damn good really.
I mean it did sell itself as a horror so I was a bit disappointed getting towards the middle of the film when nothing particularly scary was happening...

but I was quite impressed with the twist, and to an extent I supported what they were doing! I mean I don't condone it obviously.. but you're right, it definitely raised some interesting questions.

Zero 12-03-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dready (Post 941683)
I thought The Tall Man was pretty damn good really.
I mean it did sell itself as a horror so I was a bit disappointed getting towards the middle of the film when nothing particularly scary was happening...

but I was quite impressed with the twist, and to an extent I supported what they were doing! I mean I don't condone it obviously.. but you're right, it definitely raised some interesting questions.

the ending was really ambivalent (in the literal sense of the word) which i liked a lot too. wish it hadn't tried to be a 'horror' film but it did stick with me.

Elvis_Christ 12-03-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferox13 (Post 941667)
I was pretty disappointed in it to be honest. I liked Martyrs a lot more.

I felt the same way. The Tall Man is really sloppy in comparison both stylistically and thematically. Martyrs was a lot deeper and worked on a few different levels while The Tall Man was a mishmash of styles and the film just felt like it couldn't make up it's mind what it actually wanted to be. The social commentary seemed tacked on as an after thought.

JustBeforeDawn 12-18-2012 11:53 PM

I loved The Tall Man.

Good performances and a lot of twists that really kept you guessing.

When you watch it a second time, there's so many hints that you don't pick up on the first time.

Sdkdmd 12-19-2012 01:53 PM

On it's way to me from netflex

mynameisdan 12-21-2012 07:48 AM

I really liked the first 30-40 minutes of it and thought it was really intriguing. However, after a certain point that is a bit blurry to me, the movie just kind of falls apart and becomes something different than what it started with. A pretty mediocre movie, in my opinion.

Ice Pik 12-29-2012 11:54 AM

I always thought that maybe it was a squeal to Phantasm. Havent seen it yet.