Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

FryeDwight 08-30-2019 12:16 AM

MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1934). Lionel Atwill is once again looney tunes as a wealthy Zoo owner convinced his wife (Kathleen Burke from ISLAND OF LOST SOULS) is tomcatting about and his efforts to prevent. This has one of the most startling opening scene ever put on film and some extreme bits of nastiness throughout. Early performance by Randolph Scott as a Scientist and He still moves like a Cowpoke! Sadly, extremely unfunny "Comedy Relief". by top billed Charles Ruggles::shocked:: truly hamper any momentum previously incurred. ***

Sculpt 08-30-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1039414)
MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1934). Lionel Atwill is once again looney tunes as a wealthy Zoo owner convinced his wife (Kathleen Burke from ISLAND OF LOST SOULS) is tomcatting about and his efforts to prevent. This has one of the most startling opening scene ever put on film and some extreme bits of nastiness throughout. Early performance by Randolph Scott as a Scientist and He still moves like a Cowpoke! Sadly, extremely unfunny "Comedy Relief". by top billed Charles Ruggles::shocked:: truly hamper any momentum previously incurred. ***

This is the one where the husband sews up the mouth of some dude, right?

FryeDwight 09-03-2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1039428)
This is the one where the husband sews up the mouth of some dude, right?

Now, Sculpt...if I told that it would spoil the surprise!

yep!::big grin::

FryeDwight 09-16-2019 02:14 AM

WHITE ZOMBIE (1932). Impressive atmosphere, great sets and some cool zombies are all but hamstrung by a silly plot and some horrid acting...realize most of the actors here began in silents and were used to over emoting, but it really puts the movie in jeopardy.
The main reason to watch this -and this is the case in many of his films- is for Bela Lugosi as Murder Legendre, the Zombie master. Even with the unibrow, Bela looks fantastic in this and he completely carries WZ As mentioned, many of Bela's films are bad, but he has incredible charisma and truly mesmerizing...You cannot take your eyes off him while he is on the screen. He has some humdingers here for dialogue especially when discussing the origins of his slaves, particularly "He almost executed ME!" ***

PoulanaSawyer 09-22-2019 04:47 PM

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Always put off this film, but finally sat through it. Absolutely haunting and still relevant today (aside from the Satan aspect) with the issues of isolation, control, and pregnancy. Great performances and music. Just sucks Roman Polanski is a creep. Film is one of the best of the best.

Sculpt 09-23-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoulanaSawyer (Post 1039673)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Always put off this film, but finally sat through it. Absolutely haunting and still relevant today (aside from the Satan aspect) with the issues of isolation, control, and pregnancy. Great performances and music. Just sucks Roman Polanski is a creep. Film is one of the best of the best.

I know what you mean. I had put this one off too. When I was much younger I saw some of it, but wasn't in the mood, or didn't have the temperament to give the film the attention it required.

FryeDwight 09-24-2019 02:50 AM

NIGGHTMARE (1964). Pretty good BW psychological Hammer film, although I find it pretty mean spirited and two of the most loathsome characters I've ever seen. To tell more would diminish the film, so FD says, Check It Out! ***1/2

Tommy Jarvis 09-28-2019 12:18 PM

The Birds

It has all the "problems" of an "old" film. By today's standards, the pace seems a bit slow and some of the effects look dated, which is only logical. The end also was a bit underwhelming.

Having said that, the attacks towards the end still hold up pretty well and the image of birds pecking away at the doors is indeed scary.

Also interesting to see how they bring along the lovebirds.

hammerfan 10-02-2019 04:40 AM

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
The Giant Gila Monster

hammerfan 10-03-2019 03:04 AM

The Wolf Man