Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

FryeDwight 02-26-2019 10:47 PM

HANGOVER SQUARE (1945). Could almost be a retread of THE LODGER with same director, same basic plot, two actors. from LT (Laird Cregar//George Sanders) and many technicians. But feel this has more atmosphere and is actually more frightening with Laird giving a wonderful performance as a seriously damaged composer with Kudos also going to gorgeous Linda Darnell as one of the most duplicitous characters ever, although her final scene is pretty nasty.
From what I heard on the commentary, this was a strife filled production with Cregar desperately trying to lose weight to play Leading Man roles instead of villains (From this and THE LODGER, You can see the weight loss) and seems to have been somewhat confused about his sexual orientation, which back then could haver seriously hampered his careeer. Lots of bickering throughout than some reshoots after primary filming and after Laird had alienated just about everyone. Sadly, all the aggravation Laird put himself through was for naught as he passed away at a too young age of 31::sad::. ***1/2

BudMan 02-27-2019 05:42 PM

If you have Amazon prime there is a two hour and forty five minute version of “Horrible Horror” hosted by Zacherely. Movie clips from some real doozies from the 50s / 60s.
Lots of fun and best served with cold beer or whatever smoke you may have.

hammerfan 02-28-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudMan (Post 1037157)
If you have Amazon prime there is a two hour and forty five minute version of “Horrible Horror” hosted by Zacherely. Movie clips from some real doozies from the 50s / 60s.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up!

BudMan 02-28-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1037168)
Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up!

anything for you sweetie::wink::

FryeDwight 03-07-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudMan (Post 1037157)

I got this on VHS back in 1987, a couple of months before my Daughter was born...a TRULY GREAT party tape.
Did find it odd that there are some GOOD films on here like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, CARNIVAL OF SOULS and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN>

bamahorrorfan87 03-11-2019 01:32 PM

12 angry men

Sculpt 03-11-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 (Post 1037302)
12 angry men

Probably the best court drama I ever saw. Very watchable. I think of Few Good Men, JFK, Brockovich as contenders.

FryeDwight 03-12-2019 09:55 PM

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

Probably the first of the Classic Universals I was able to see...a little bit anyway. Had about 5 FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND and a CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN, so was a liitle familiar with titles etc. Saw a picture of Lou standing next to Glenn Strange in the TV Guide which piqued my interest. I was about 8 going on 9 at this time and my Parents would go to parties and leave me and my Brother at a Nursery for a cheap babysitter. Got home and caught the last few minutes starting with Dracula and The Wolfman are chasing each other. Some years later, read the "Fearbook" in FM #105 and finally in Spring 1978, it was playing on TV and really liked it (was truly disheartened years later, watching on regular TV and a commercial break meant the WHOLE scene where Lou returns Talbott's grip was cut-Bastards!)

Have watched it many times over the years and still think it's absolutely one of the BEST films ever---will always be in my Top 10. The Monsters come off with dignity and respect and A&C were never better. Just love "The Moving Candle", Lou's reaction when he first sees The Monster ("Oooooo-WOW!!"::big grin::),
Lou returning the suitcase and writing the note, pulling the quilt over the Monster and the scene where Lou yanks off the tablecloth and his reaction to the camera is guaranteed to send my wife into hysterics... and that's really scratching the service. Good Greg Mank commentary also. *****

Sculpt 03-14-2019 10:15 PM

In Cold Blood (1967)
7/10

Based on true story of two criminals who who go to steal from a small farmer's safe, but find no safe end up with only $40, and they murder all four family members. Then they sort of meander around avoiding the police, in and out of Mexico, as we see a couple detectives get some incites on the murders and murderers. Based on a book by Truman Capote.

It's crime drama, bordering and melodrama. I thought it had a rather pokey pace, and it didn't inspire me to want to know who the murderers were or why they did it. ‎The flashback reveals were a bit perplexing, and unsatisfying as explanations for the murders. Robert Blake‎, and especially ‎Scott Wilson, do a great job acting, it just wasn't exciting or all that interesting.

FryeDwight 03-16-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1037328)
In Cold Blood (1967)
7/10

Based on true story of two criminals who who go to steal a safe but end up only finding $40 and they murder all four family members. Then they sort of meander around avoiding the police as we see a couple detectives get some incites on the murders and murderers. Based on a book by Truman Capote.

Meh, I wasn't impressed. I thought it had a rather pokey pace, and it didn't inspire me to want to know who the murderers were or why they did it. ‎Robert Blake‎, and especially ‎Scott Wilson, do a great job acting, it just wasn't exciting or all that interesting.

The two leads are good and while it has a grim premise (I think it was FANGORIA who called it "The HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER of it's day"), it does poke around and don't find the musical score all that either.

THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (1962). The effect alcohol has on a Young couples lives is shown in wrenching almost frightening detail. THE LOST WEEKEND (1945) has gotten more of the praise, but Ray Milland's character is such a sclub, you don't really care about him. You like Jack Lemmon and especially Lee Remick-how lovely and vulnerable she is- and hoping there will be some salvation for them. ****