Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

hammerfan 09-14-2014 04:46 PM

Horror Hotel (aka The City of the Dead)

Monkey Astronaut 09-14-2014 07:07 PM

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llHyde1931.jpg

One of the interesting things about this film is Rouben Mamoulian's use of first person perspective shots and clever transitions. It really is filled with incredible visuals and inventive film techniques. The Wally Westmore special effects make-up for Hyde is subtle but very effective both gruesome and animal like. Fredric March plays Mr. Hyde brilliantly and he nails the villain's mannerisms perfectly. The scene where Hyde first looks into the mirror and says "Free! Free at last!" is one of my favorites. Miriam Hopkins looked stunning and she gives a tremendous performance as Ivy Pearson. This is arguably the best adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson novel on film.

FryeDwight 09-15-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art School Dropout (Post 978011)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llHyde1931.jpg

One of the interesting things about this film is Rouben Mamoulian's use of first person perspective shots and clever transitions. It really is filled with incredible visuals and inventive film techniques. The Wally Westmore special effects make-up for Hyde is subtle but very effective both gruesome and animal like. Fredric March plays Mr. Hyde brilliantly and he nails the villain's mannerisms perfectly. The scene where Hyde first looks into the mirror and says "Free! Free at last!" is one of my favorites. Miriam Hopkins looked stunning and she gives a tremendous performance as Ivy Pearson. This is arguably the best adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson novel on film.

Absolutely 10% correct. March is wonderful in his Oscar winning role and pretty racy/violent for the time.

Monkey Astronaut 09-17-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn Heathen (Post 977331)
Mr. Sardonicus

I liked this one too but his face looked so bizarre. I think it was mostly the nose extended down so much that it was anatomically incorrect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 977426)
No, that would be this

The Tingler is highly underrated and one of my favorite Vincent Price films.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 978048)
Absolutely 10% correct.

Only %10? ::big grin::

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 978048)
March is wonderful in his Oscar winning role and pretty racy/violent for the time.

Yeah and it's crazy what they were able to get away with in those pre-code films.

hammerfan 09-17-2014 05:00 AM

House of Frankenstein (1944)

Boris Karloff as a mad scientist, Glenn Strange as Frankenstein's creature, John Carradine as Dracula, and Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolfman.

metternich1815 09-18-2014 04:51 AM

Son of Frankenstein: 8.5/10

The Ghost of Frankenstein (first viewing): 7/10

hammerfan 09-18-2014 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 978344)
Son of Frankenstein: 8.5/10

The Ghost of Frankenstein (first viewing): 7/10

What did you think of Son of Frankenstein? It's my favorite of the Universal Frankenstein movies.

metternich1815 09-18-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 978348)
What did you think of Son of Frankenstein? It's my favorite of the Universal Frankenstein movies.

I really enjoyed it myself. I do not think it has the depth of the original and Bride, but it has a strong story. In addition, there were some strong performances as well. Bela Lugosi's performance in particular was quite strong. I know you said that you consider it the best of the Universal Frankenstein movies, but I found the two earlier entries as stronger. I am interested in hearing your perspective though.

hammerfan 09-18-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 978354)
I really enjoyed it myself. I do not think it has the depth of the original and Bride, but it has a strong story. In addition, there were some strong performances as well. Bela Lugosi's performance in particular was quite strong. I know you said that you consider it the best of the Universal Frankenstein movies, but I found the two earlier entries as stronger. I am interested in hearing your perspective though.

I'll give you a comprehensive review when I get home from work.

neverending 09-18-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 978354)

Bela is outstanding as Ygor. It's one of my favorite Lugosi performances. When he coughs on the Burgomeister- priceless! There's a lot in this film that Mel Brooks singled out for parody, masterfully. Kenneth Mars whole character is spot on.

These three films- Frankenstein, Bride and Son, make a perfect trilogy. After that, the films don't have the same quality.