Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Last Seen European Horror? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62151)

Fearonsarms 11-10-2012 05:52 AM

Last Seen European Horror?

As all the other forums have one of these as a sticky I thought I would do one for European Horror. The last I saw was the british film The Wicker Tree (2011) directed by Robin Hardy who directed the original Wicker Man (1973). This is second part of a trilogy so it will be interesting to see where he goes from here. This one however is best approached with low expectations don't expect it to be as spectacular as the first film and you might enjoy it. A lot of people won't though.

Fearonsarms 11-11-2012 07:48 AM

Saw Kill List (2011) which I had extremely low expectations of due to some very scathing reviews of it that I had come across. It is a British film-a character study of a hitman and the lengths he would go to provide for his family. It's a film of substance that doesn't try to manipulate the viewer instead allowing the points to be made by the director to the viewer coming to their own conclusions with a tangible gritty realism that avoids all the trappings of conceited pretentiousness. The Cabin In The Woods did this too. The film does surprisingly move into horror territory in the last 20mins making this a definite horror film on many levels (you'll see what I mean if you see it). There is some brutal violence (iriitatingly overwarned about by film four after EVERY fucking ad break-it's sad that controversial films like this need to have these just in case people complain FFS) but the blood-spilled is quite sporadic so don't come into this expecting a gorefest. However there is enough here to keep the viewer hooked. A truly indispensable film :)

Dara 11-11-2012 09:24 AM

I saw The Devils Business last night -like kill list its a Brit flick which I found incredibly enjoyable -well worth a watch if youre a fan of old school horror such as hammer house of horror .Its a short film ,well executed and acted .The ending nearly had me doing little girly claps of glee !

Fearonsarms 11-20-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dara (Post 940377)
I saw The Devils Business last night -like kill list its a Brit flick which I found incredibly enjoyable -well worth a watch if youre a fan of old school horror such as hammer house of horror .Its a short film ,well executed and acted .The ending nearly had me doing little girly claps of glee !

I'll have to check this out-I adored Hammer House Of Horror :)

Black Magic Rites/The Reincarnation Of Isabel (1973). Pure eurotrash sexploitation film that is just too easy to take the piss out of it. It probably helped that I was very stoned while watching this as I found the incoherence of it all very comical same with the lame wooden acting. One irritating character miraculously survives and I think they let her survive out of pure spite (though she does get raped err kind of anyway). Though it's certainly violent, gory and typically weird as you expect from Italian horror. Not really one I'd recommend though

Fearonsarms 11-26-2012 10:17 AM

Los Ojos De Julia/Julia's Eyes (2010) Spanish thriller produced by Guillermo De Toro that is very argento-esque and a blast to watch. Lots of clever scenes and camera trickery. The kind of film that I wish I'd seen at the cinema to see it in its full glory. Genuinely thrilling, edge of your seat stuff-recommended :)

Fearonsarms 12-16-2012 11:25 PM

The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) Italian horror based on Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla". Was better than I expected, it's quite subtle though. But there is a great unease to it and I'm sure it would have seemed a bit controversial back then though it doesn't now. Still I wouldn't call it outstanding but since I had such low expectations I felt it was worth watching :)

Fearonsarms 01-08-2013 05:35 AM

The Burning Moon (1992) German horror that I hadn't heard of before I saw it in the most "gorific thread". This really is a remarkable film. Proof that you can do absolutely anything on a practically non-existent budget. Starts off slowly to warm you up but gradually gets darker, more atmospheric, mysterious, more violent, unsettling, gorier and disturbing as it progresses. The effort put into this is astonishing and you can tell that it was made by proper horror fans purely for other horror fans. Nothing is watered down, or aimed at a particular market nor will it ever be liked/understood by a mainstream audience. Take a ride on this journey to pure HELL and enjoy :)

metternich1815 01-14-2013 06:17 PM

Zombie 2 by Lucio Fulci. It was a really good Italian horror film. It had some interesting death sequences (a zombie put a splinter through the eye of a woman). There was one scene in which a zombie and a tiger shark fought (The zombie bit the shark). The film was definitely a B-movie, but a high-quality one.

Fearonsarms 01-16-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 943607)
Zombie 2 by Lucio Fulci. It was a really good Italian horror film. It had some interesting death sequences (a zombie put a splinter through the eye of a woman). There was one scene in which a zombie and a tiger shark fought (The zombie bit the shark). The film was definitely a B-movie, but a high-quality one.

Glad you enjoyed and discovered that Fulci classic. I hope you enjoy a lot of the other Italian horrors out there. Approach the cheap knock-offs like Great White, The House Of Exorcism and The Beast In Heat with caution they are very niche and are best viewed with alcohol or weed. But there a lot of underrated gems like Zeder/Revenge Of The Dead, The Church and Door To Silence that you might like.

Fearonsarms 02-03-2013 09:25 PM

Death Walks On High Heels (1971)-Erotic and fascinating giallo set in France and the UK. Directed by Luciano Ercoli who produced other gialli Death Walks At Midnight and Forbidden Photos Of A Lady Above Suspicion. This is even better than them. I especially loved the fishmonger in the english village (wonder if he was selling red herrings? lol) and the gossips in the pub. Nicely woven little mystery thriller-not much violence but when it does happen is even more effective than you expect. Fans of the Italian genre won't want to miss this :)

Can't compete with the dvd but not bad quality here:-

Zero 02-18-2013 11:09 AM

berberian sound system - quite good if a bit trippy at the end.

Giganticface 02-20-2013 07:04 AM

I watched Martyrs for a second time last night. It's been nagging me to get in my top 25 all time, but I can't in good conscience have a movie I've only seen once in there. I also needed to make sure it was still enjoyable already knowing the left turns it had in store. It was. I think I gave it an 8/10 the first time around, and a 9/10 the second. (It also helped that the second time was subtitled, while the first was crummy English dubbed.)

metternich1815 06-18-2013 05:52 PM

Shaun of the Dead (2004). It was a British film. I would rate it as a eight out of ten. I did not consider it laugh out loud funny, but it was still a pretty good spin on the zombie genre. The acting was pretty good (you cared about all the characters, even the least likable). One strange thing is that, for me, even though you could feel for the characters, it was not really that emotional when they died. Quite strange. Overall, the film was really good.

TokyoTenshi 06-19-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 951089)
Shaun of the Dead (2004). It was a British film. I would rate it as a four out of five. I did not consider it laugh out loud funny, but it was still a pretty good spin on the zombie genre. The acting was pretty good (you cared about all the characters, even the least likable). One strange thing is that, for me, even though you could feel for the characters, it was not really that emotional when they died. Quite strange. Overall, the film was really good.

Shaun of the Dead is awesome! :)

staceybethh 10-06-2013 09:27 PM

http://drugsbunny.files.wordpress.co.../phenomena.jpg
Phenomena (1985)

Another Dario Argento goodie

shadyJ 11-28-2013 02:59 AM

I watched Mario Bava's Lisa and the Devil last night. Very enjoyable movie. I can admire a film that throws out conventional narratives and just follows dream logic. It was like someone combined Last Year at Marienbad with an EC comics story. A very mellow and surreal movie, perfect for late night. Nice music, and Elke Sommer is beautiful. The setting and cinematography is were easy on the eyes as well. Despite Bava, this isn't a hard horror film, so don't go looking for shocking stuff in this one, although there was one brutal death. It was more of a dark, dreamlike wondering in an old European mansion.

bblgmpink 12-02-2013 06:34 PM

Sleeeeep Tight

I really liked Sleep Tight, a Spanish film. I don't quite know that it's "horror" but more of a psychological thriller. It's about a man who is dead set on making EVERYONE completely miserable. It's pretty intense with a super fucked ending. It left me thinking about it for days after watching. I enjoyed Kill List too! The House on the Edge of the Park is a favorite of mine. It's soooooo sexy!

bblgmpink 12-02-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giganticface (Post 945568)
I watched Martyrs for a second time last night. It's been nagging me to get in my top 25 all time, but I can't in good conscience have a movie I've only seen once in there. I also needed to make sure it was still enjoyable already knowing the left turns it had in store. It was. I think I gave it an 8/10 the first time around, and a 9/10 the second. (It also helped that the second time was subtitled, while the first was crummy English dubbed.)

The dubbed version of Martyrs is SHIT! That movie is tops. Totally one of my favorites.

Giganticface 12-03-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadyJ (Post 960647)
I watched Mario Bava's Lisa and the Devil last night. Very enjoyable movie. I can admire a film that throws out conventional narratives and just follows dream logic. It was like someone combined Last Year at Marienbad with an EC comics story. A very mellow and surreal movie, perfect for late night. Nice music, and Elke Sommer is beautiful. The setting and cinematography is were easy on the eyes as well. Despite Bava, this isn't a hard horror film, so don't go looking for shocking stuff in this one, although there was one brutal death. It was more of a dark, dreamlike wondering in an old European mansion.

I noticed last night, that it's on Amazon Instant Streaming / Prime. Added to watchlist. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. Sounds intriguing, and I like Bava.

Fearonsarms 12-04-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giganticface (Post 960857)
I noticed last night, that it's on Amazon Instant Streaming / Prime. Added to watchlist. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. Sounds intriguing, and I like Bava.

I definitely recommend that it's a great film. Also check out if you're in the mood for it, The House Of Exorcism it's basically Lisa and The Devil remixed with added exorcist ripping off ingredients good for a laugh but not to be taken too seriously.

Fearonsarms 12-04-2013 09:05 AM

The House With Laughing Windows (1976) Directed by Pupi Avati who also directed the excellent Zeder/Revenge Of The Dead. Italian giallo-ish almost horror with plenty of atmosphere good sense of foreboding dread created with it's setting and excellent climax. Recommended

ferretchucker 12-24-2013 06:46 PM

Currently writing an essay on Hammer so I've been rewatching a fair few of them. Ahh, Peter Cushing, in another life we will be together...

Emojew 12-31-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblgmpink (Post 960839)
I really liked Sleep Tight, a Spanish film. I don't quite know that it's "horror" but more of a psychological thriller. It's about a man who is dead set on making EVERYONE completely miserable. It's pretty intense with a super fucked ending. It left me thinking about it for days after watching. I enjoyed Kill List too! The House on the Edge of the Park is a favorite of mine. It's soooooo sexy!

I loved Sleep Tight. It really leaves its mark!

Fearonsarms 02-05-2014 11:09 AM

The Monk/Le Moine. French mystery adapted from Matthew Lewis's gothic and controversial novel. It was very well produced but nowhere near as haunting as the novel. I kind of wished I'd seen this movie before reading the book my expectations wouldn't have been so high. I also felt the horror element at the end was rushed and could have been much better. Overall ok and a bit safe but could have been better.

[email protected] 03-17-2014 09:03 AM

Kill List

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 940370)
Saw Kill List (2011) which I had extremely low expectations of due to some very scathing reviews

I walked into this film with exactly the same expectations. I'm from the UK and usually British horror doesn't do much for me, but I really enjoyed this one.

Was really impressed with one of the more brutal scenes that had me leaning back in my seat squinting.

Fearonsarms 03-18-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 966398)
I walked into this film with exactly the same expectations. I'm from the UK and usually British horror doesn't do much for me, but I really enjoyed this one.

Was really impressed with one of the more brutal scenes that had me leaning back in my seat squinting.

Yeah it was a surprise how much I enjoyed it too. Great film.

Fearonsarms 03-18-2014 01:11 AM

Zombi Holocaust (1980) Italian horror that throws both cannibals and zombies at you. Bonus point for there being no animal cruelty. Was quite good some nice gore and nice setting that is very reminiscent of Zombie/Zombi 2/Zombie flesh eaters but not as good. However it is quite fun once it gets going (there's a fair bit of build up). Worth watching.

FryeDwight 03-20-2014 01:25 AM

TORSO (1973)-Almost unwatchable giallo that is helped by copious nudity and a decent turn by Suzi Kendall...just barely. *1/2

Fearonsarms 03-23-2014 08:40 AM

La Horde/The Horde-This was an ok if a little generic zombie movie. It had a good mix of cops and gangsters but it really lacked anything special. A bit run of the mill but ok.

FryeDwight 03-29-2014 02:00 AM

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959)-Really creepy French film that has an outstanding gross out scene. My copy has a way too peppy score, but at least the horrid Billy Idol song wasn't used. ****

The Bloofer Lady 04-08-2014 03:05 PM

SYMPTOMS 1974

British horror thriller starring Angela Pleasence, daughter of Donald. A young woman invites a friend to stay at her family home/country estate and things take an unsettling turn for the worse.
I could have watched this film with absolutely no sound it was that sumptuous.
I loved it.

FryeDwight 04-10-2014 05:30 AM

TALES FROM THE CRYPT (1972). Very enjoyable British anthology from Amicus studios that works far better than the lame TV series. Not crazy about the second story, but the rest are great and feel so sorry for Peter Cushing's character in "Poetic Justice" and how GLAD I was to see that asshole get a well deserved end!
Favorite is "All Through The House" with a very hot Joan Collins (I like older women, what can I say::stick out tongue::) doing a one woman act for most of it. ****

Fearonsarms 05-21-2014 12:32 PM

Island Of The Fishmen (1979) an ok Italian horror with a good mix of ideas

FryeDwight 06-09-2014 04:17 AM

ZOMBIE (1980-??). While pretty absurd in spots, this is a lot better than most Fulci films with a pretty exciting climax, a great shark/zombie battle underwater and one of the best grossouts I've ever seen. Showed that scene to several people and the reactions were always good for a laugh...I'm a sadistic SOB...what can I say?::stick out tongue:: ***1/2

Angra 07-08-2014 02:59 AM

"The Iron Rose" 0/10

Horrific.

The acting, the dialogue, the characters, the story. Everything. French artsy crap at its worst.

A story about a couple getting locked inside a cemetary by accident.

I kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen in this "horror" movie (Horror my ass!!) and finally after a long time waiting my patience paid off. The movie ended. How the director could make this garbage last for one and a half hour is beyond my comprehension.

FryeDwight 07-15-2014 03:40 AM

HAUTE TENSION (2003). Really didn't like this when I saw it a few years back, but got in Brother sent Xmas box, so gave it another spin. Actually better than I remembered with some very subtle twists, but still find it needlessly violent in parts. ***

Fearonsarms 07-15-2014 07:52 PM

Anatomy-a solid little German horror that I found quite enjoyable. Glad I watched it. Nothing amazing but pretty safe ground having a pop at unethical medical procedures. Worth a look.

Ferox13 07-15-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 970038)
Island Of The Fishmen (1979) an ok Italian horror with a good mix of ideas

There is an American version of this with some tacked on gore..Screamers:

Fearonsarms 07-15-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferox13 (Post 973670)
There is an American version of this with some tacked on gore..Screamers:

Cheers for that looks interesting from the trailer I'll have to check it out. ::smile::

hammerfan 08-22-2014 04:25 PM

The Orphanage