Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toys & Props (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Displaying your collection. (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13114)

newb 01-14-2005 09:07 AM

Displaying your collection.

My question is...

When displaying your collection, i.e. McFarlane movie maniacs or whatever....do you take said collectable out of its package or do you put it on the shelf in its package?

I understand the advantage of keeping it in its original package, resale value and what not, I'm just curious.

I personally take mine out of the package but my daughter has a room full of figures all neatly in thier containers......kinda like walking into Toys-R-Us.

urgeok 01-14-2005 09:18 AM

Re: Displaying your collection.

Quote:

Originally posted by newb
My question is...

When displaying your collection, i.e. McFarlane movie maniacs or whatever....do you take said collectable out of its package or do you put it on the shelf in its package?

I understand the advantage of keeping it in its original package, resale value and what not, I'm just curious.

I personally take mine out of the package but my daughter has a room full of figures all neatly in thier containers......kinda like walking into Toys-R-Us.

mine are all in the boxes untouched ..

i know it doesnt make much sense.

Every now and then i'll get a double or find one out of a package ... i have a number of those.

As far as displaying them goes ....
I have way too many ... about 150 - 200 of them ...
shit - thats not including all the monsters inc. stuff ... and the ....

well, there's no way in hell i can display it - yet - but if it comes in a box - i keep it in the box ..

Gojira 01-16-2005 09:07 AM

I have a Bandai Vinyl figure collection I display them in a nice glass case. Most of the figs dont come packaged but the ones that are I will display both ways still in package and out of package. My collection is small I only have 2 glass display cabinets many of my friends have 6 or 8 cabinets.

Tat2 01-21-2005 06:22 PM

They way I understand it from several major collectors is that you can take the out of the packaging, as long as you don't tear it (use a razor blade) and keep it.

I know others that will buy two (if two are available) one for open display, and the other left untouched.

Personally, I remove mine from the packaging to display if they are the ones that are readily available (ie., sold at Walmart type stores). If I get one that is difficult to find, I leave it in the box.

Gojira 01-21-2005 10:47 PM

What do you collect Tat?

mothermold 01-25-2005 09:12 PM

Re: Displaying your collection.

Quote:

Originally posted by newb
My question is...

..it depends on the collector.i know people who buy two figures at a time and display one whlie keeping another in it's original package.personally i open mine and with the clamshell packaging mcfarlane uses it's practicaly impossible to do so without the aid of a exacto or knife.

newb 01-29-2005 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Displaying your collection.

Quote:

Originally posted by mothermold
..it depends on the collector.i know people who buy two figures at a time and display one whlie keeping another in it's original package.personally i open mine and with the clamshell packaging mcfarlane uses it's practicaly impossible to do so without the aid of a exacto or knife.
I agree....some of them are impossible to open without destroying the package.

gnarly 01-31-2005 10:46 PM

why would you keep it in the box, coz if ya keep it in a box in the darkness an shit, you can only make a lil bit more in your life time , and if you only wanted to make money, you could just buy more boring shit like smurf figures or star wars, ya know and there not selling them horror figures cozz there rare there selling them coz there fucking mad to look at.

Gojira 01-31-2005 10:55 PM

I think the reason most collectors buy 3 of the same thing is so that they can keep 1 and either sell or trade the other figures. Or if the figure comes in a box/package a collector might keep 2 one in the package the other out of package and the 3rd you sell or trade it when it goes up in value.