Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   disturbingly subtle??? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50255)

psycho d 03-15-2009 09:06 AM

disturbingly subtle???

How about some movie recommendations, thriller/horror/otherwise, that were disturbing in ways that ya cannot put your finger on. i love seeing movies that leave me perplexed as to what ahd actually bothered me about the flick. For some reason The Devil's Chair left me with this impression. Taxi Driver and The Ring might also be examples. Any other recs???
d

Michael Myers 03-15-2009 10:56 AM

Im not sure if understand exactly what you mean but try out "Funny Games".

X¤MurderDoll¤X 03-15-2009 01:55 PM

How was The Ring subtle?

scouse mac 03-15-2009 03:18 PM

Hard Candy is one that might fit the bill.

Its a very good slow burner, subtle in parts and shocking in others.

Elvis_Christ 03-15-2009 03:34 PM

Check out Stuck. Not really subtle but the underlying themes of damaged humanity are disturbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X (Post 794314)
How was The Ring subtle?

Yeh its not really at all is it. Its about as subtle as being slapped with haunted sushi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scouse mac (Post 794318)
Hard Candy is one that might fit the bill.

Its a very good slow burner, subtle in parts and shocking in others.

That chick in it is so annoying! As much of a bastard as that guy was I was hoping he'd knock her off by the end of it.

scouse mac 03-15-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 794321)
That chick in it is so annoying! As much of a bastard as that guy was I was hoping he'd knock her off by the end of it.

lol.......I felt the same thing. She had an air of a smug know-it-all and couldve easily been brought down a peg or three!

psycho d 03-15-2009 03:58 PM

i think that by "subtle" i am not sure what it was that disturbs (or scared) me so. For example, in Irreversible, i know exactly what it was that disturbed me. Other movies, not so much. i guess it is hard to put into words, which again is the attractive feature. i think that Event Horizon may have also had this quality (for me anyway). Thanks for the recs. i will definitely be checking out Stuck. Ashe.
d

scouse mac 03-15-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho d (Post 794326)
Thanks for the recs. i will definitely be checking out Stuck. Ashe.
d

So my recommendation not good enough for you eh?

Well, if you set out to make someone cry this evening, mission accomplished.

:D

psycho d 03-16-2009 05:20 AM

Plz don't cry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scouse mac (Post 794327)
So my recommendation not good enough for you eh?

Well, if you set out to make someone cry this evening, mission accomplished.

:D

i guess i misunderstood the old saying "don't cry wolf.":D After watching the trailer i just qued Hard Candy on Netflix. Thanks again for the recs. Ashe.
d

Doc Faustus 03-16-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho d (Post 794326)
i think that by "subtle" i am not sure what it was that disturbs (or scared) me so. For example, in Irreversible, i know exactly what it was that disturbed me. Other movies, not so much. i guess it is hard to put into words, which again is the attractive feature. i think that Event Horizon may have also had this quality (for me anyway). Thanks for the recs. i will definitely be checking out Stuck. Ashe.
d

The word you're looking for is eerie. If that's the case, Eraserhead and Driller Killer will fit the bill. Also, though it's an older movie, Vampyr. The films defines that subtle, ethereal quality that causes tiny shivers.