Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Foreign Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Asia vs Hollywood (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2783)

bunn100 01-03-2004 04:27 AM

Asia vs Hollywood

well which produces the best horror at the moment my vote goes easily to asia. They have been far superior in the last 5 years.

just look at the following list all of these films in my view are fantastic

The Eye
Ichi the Killer
Dark Water
Guinea Pig Series
Evil Dead Trap
Kairo/Pulse
Ju-on
Hypnosis
Suicide Circle
Battle Royale
Whispering Corridors
Audition

meetthecreeper 01-03-2004 04:53 AM

Hollywood is all about the money not the quality and entertainment value of the film.

dashripper 01-03-2004 09:37 AM

Re: Asia vs Hollywood

Quote:

Originally posted by bunn100
well which produces the best horror at the moment my vote goes easily to asia. They have been far superior in the last 5 years.

just look at the following list all of these films in my view are fantastic

The Eye
Ichi the Killer
Dark Water
Guinea Pig Series
Evil Dead Trap
Kairo/Pulse
Ju-on
Hypnosis
Suicide Circle
Battle Royale
Whispering Corridors
Audition

Easily far superior from Asia. I've become so annoyed with the crap that comes out of North America. This year was supposed to be great for horror but Cabin Fever, CHainsaw remake, Wrong Turn, Gothika everything was just garbage.

Most of these movies in your list will be remade. The Eye(better than Sixth Sense IMHO), Dark Water with Jennifer Connely, Pulse by Wes Craven, Ju-On with Sarah Michelle Gellar. I even heard Audition might be remade. I just can't see that.

If anybody wants a purely entertaining kick-ass movie catch Battle Royale. I have it on VCD but I would love to see it on the big screen.

bunn100 01-03-2004 10:12 AM

It makes me laugh how hollywood will remake most of these japanese films.

It just proves how hollywood is incapable of creating movies of this calibur so there only answer is to copy them lol

Arioch 01-03-2004 10:15 AM

lol i think we're all in agreement here.

bunn100 01-03-2004 10:18 AM

lol I am tempted to go to a course to learn how to speak japanese lol

Sam The Egg 01-03-2004 11:27 AM

ever stop to think that the reason that all the Japanese movies we see are good MIGHT be that nobody will bother with the bad ones? Unless someone here is keeping up with the Japanese movie scene, Japan might have just as many bad movies as Hollywood.
Also, the Wes Craven remake of Kairo fell through, I heard that The Eye might not happen, and I haven't even heard of the Ju-On remake.
Another also, are we talking about Hollywood now, or always?

bloodrayne 01-03-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sam The Egg
are we talking about Hollywood now, or always?

I would venture to say Hollywood NOW, as it has become unimaginative, thematic and capitalistic...

Sam The Egg 01-03-2004 11:42 AM

Oh. To be more specific, are we putting any movie to be made in the US under 'Hollywood'?

bloodrayne 01-03-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sam The Egg
Oh. To be more specific, are we putting any movie to be made in the US under 'Hollywood'?

That's where it's usually done...:)