Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Seen Mummy (2019) with Tom Cruise? Some questions. (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69291)

Sculpt 05-12-2020 05:25 PM

Seen Mummy (2019) with Tom Cruise? Some questions.

Have you seen Mummy (2019) with Tom Cruise? I have some questions.

1. In Egypt, Ahmanet a pharaoh's daughter tries to get a lover possessed by the god Set in order to take power. She was given some powers by Set, but arrested and 'buried alive' by being injected with mercury. Ahmanet's tomb is discovered in northern Iraq -- how'd it get there? Why was it there (instead of Egypt)?

2. Ahmanet feeds on people to regenerate her body and make them her slaves. When Cruise is swimming through the London underground burial room containing sarcophagi of the Crusaders (who brought the dagger back from Egypt) their clothed bones swim out and try to capture Cruise. Why would they revive when Ahmanet never sucked the life out of them? If that's Ahmanet's power, why doesn't she just resurrect every dead body in London?

3. How does Ahmanet know the dagger of Set is in a statue in the church near Crusader burial, but doesn't know the dagger's ruby is elsewhere?

4. Why wouldn't the Crusaders destroy the dagger's Ruby (that Cruise easily cracks by hitting it on the ground), and/or the dagger, if they wanted to protect the world against Ahmanet/Set?

5. Chris (Tom Cruise's companion), is possessed by Ahmanet through a spider that bit him in the tomb. Why is that a power of Ahmanet? Why doesn't she use it again?

Unless I'm missing something, seems this film is crap because doesn't follow any boundaries, even its own. So the audience just gives up having any hopes, that is, forming anticipations, because it has no parameters. And Paramount wanted to build on this film for their Dark Universe franchise? Build on what?

hammerfan 05-13-2020 04:35 AM

All of these questions prove why it bombed at the box office.

Bloof 05-13-2020 05:16 AM

Never saw it.

urgeok2 05-13-2020 05:42 AM

i couldn't remember anything about it by the time the end credits started to roll

Sculpt 05-13-2020 02:33 PM

::big grin::

Angra 05-13-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 1042541)
i couldn't remember anything about it by the time the end credits started to roll

I remember Tom Cruise was in it. But why?

hammerfan 05-14-2020 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1042556)
I remember Tom Cruise was in it. But why?

I think studios think he's a bigger star than he really is. The majority of the movie-going public can't stand him. Personally, I think he's a horrible actor. One note, that's it. I think the only movie of his that I like is Legend. And that's purely because of Tim Curry's performance of Darkness.

urgeok2 05-14-2020 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1042563)
I think studios think he's a bigger star than he really is. The majority of the movie-going public can't stand him. Personally, I think he's a horrible actor. One note, that's it. I think the only movie of his that I like is Legend. And that's purely because of Tim Curry's performance of Darkness.

i'd have to disagree with all of that ..

i dont know him personally - never met him .. and i never believe tabloid crap. its loud and echoed on social media but isn't that always the way? a few big mouths are always louder than the majority.

No studio wants to gamble money. Studios have famously gone under because of one bomb. Cruise is still a huge draw with a few franchises under his belt. One bad movie won't kill his career. As he ages he will be replaced - become less relevant - but i don't think we're there yet. That said - the movie business is experiencing something very unique right now that may shift the dynamic for a lot of people .. maybe not. too soon to tell.

As an actor i think Cruise is competent. I might not like all the movies but i never once thought - hmmm he was crap in that. He's pretty compelling in that he does a ton o his own stunt-work ...insane stuff no one else would ever do. (oddly i think Legend is his weakest performance but he was in a really odd place doing that one) Risky Business will always be a classic. Eyes Wide Shut ... The Colour of Money, a Few Good Men, Magnolia, Minority Report, Tropic Thunder, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow.... i find all of those very entertaining ...

i'll never judge a person's character until i spend actual time with them ... but as far as an actor goes .. i cant agree he's terrible.

Sculpt 05-15-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 1042565)
i'd have to disagree with all of that ..

i dont know him personally - never met him .. and i never believe tabloid crap. its loud and echoed on social media but isn't that always the way? a few big mouths are always louder than the majority.

No studio wants to gamble money. Studios have famously gone under because of one bomb. Cruise is still a huge draw with a few franchises under his belt. One bad movie won't kill his career. As he ages he will be replaced - become less relevant - but i don't think we're there yet. That said - the movie business is experiencing something very unique right now that may shift the dynamic for a lot of people .. maybe not. too soon to tell.

As an actor i think Cruise is competent. I might not like all the movies but i never once thought - hmmm he was crap in that. He's pretty compelling in that he does a ton o his own stunt-work ...insane stuff no one else would ever do. (oddly i think Legend is his weakest performance but he was in a really odd place doing that one) Risky Business will always be a classic. Eyes Wide Shut ... The Colour of Money, a Few Good Men, Magnolia, Minority Report, Tropic Thunder, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow.... i find all of those very entertaining ...

i'll never judge a person's character until i spend actual time with them ... but as far as an actor goes .. i cant agree he's terrible.

I thought Cruise was bright spot in this dismal film. I think all actors partly seem like 'one note'. He's usually asked to play the cocky rebel good guy, so that's what you see. But he's certainly shown range in Risky Business, Magnolia and Born on the 4th of July.

Angra 05-15-2020 10:51 PM

I think he’s hilarious. He should do more comedies.